Study USA program gearing up for hands-on Wintersession courses in four exciting locales
- Travel to the diverse and beautiful “Sky Island” mountains and deserts of southeastern Arizona
- Gain hands-on field study experience with local researchers, potentially examining plants, bats, reptiles, or insects with a special emphasis on birds
- Visit the world-renowned Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- Explore the American Museum of Natural History’s Southwestern Research Station in the Chiricahua Mountains
- Learn about the representative organisms and natural history of each local habitat
Itinerary subject to change. Please verify specific dates with instructor and confirm that the course has adequate enrollment to make before making travel arrangements.
The dates are July 29 – August 10, 2019. Students will study under the guidance of the instructor and local researchers in Arizona.
Students will travel to Arizona to learn about biodiversity from July 29 – August 10, 2019. The group will be in Tucson on July29 and Sierra Vista on July 30, before traveling to Portal, Arizona for the remainder of the stay.
This course is open to all majors. Students seeking Biology credit should have completed BISC 160, 161, 162, and 163 before the course begins and should register for BISC 380. Other students should sign up for ENVS 399, for which there are no prerequisites, and which can be counted toward and Environmental Studies minor. Student groups who may be particularly interested include Ole Miss Birders, Ole Miss Outdoors, and the Office of Sustainability.
The course fee is $1,195 plus tuition. Included in the course fee are accommodations, meals from July 31 – August 10, ground transportation in Arizona, tours, and admissions. Excluded from the course fee are the Study USA application fee, tuition, meals except for those noted above, airport transportation, airfare, and personal spending money.
Students will make their own arrangements to and from Tucson, Arizona. The University will provide group ground transportation from Tucson to the other sites in Arizona and then back to Tucson for departure on August 10.