International Students

For admission purposes we consider an international applicant to be anyone who does not hold U.S. citizenship status, regardless of his or her legal status or location of residence. Students who are not U.S. citizens should apply as “international student”.


Middle and high school students from any country can enroll in any summer credit bearing and/or non-credit program(s)* if they meet the following basic requirements:

  • Be in the age group required for each program
  • Have an English proficiency equivalent to 79 TOEFL iBT* (See “Language Proficiency” section for other accepted scores)

*Students applying to a Language Program are not required to meet a proficiency level.

Please note that credit bearing programs such as Summer College, UM High School and Jumpstart have additional admission requirements that International students must meet. Some programs are offered to Mississippi residents only.

Language Proficiency Requirements

To be able to participate in any of our programs, the student must present any of the following accepted examinations:

  • TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT): 79 or higher — No section sub-score lower than 17
  • TOEFL Revised Paper Delivery Test (rPDT): No section sub-score lower than 17
  • TOEFL Paper Based Test (ITP): 550 or higher (valid only within the institution in which it is given)
  • IELTS: 6.00 overall band score or higher
  • PTE-A: 53 or higher
  • Cambridge First Certificate B

International applicants who have been studying in the US for more than 2 years, or who attend school where English is the language of instruction can submit a language proficiency verification form provided in the application package.

International applicants who are citizens of, or who have earned a diploma (elementary, junior high, middle school) from, or are currently studying in the following countries are exempted from the English language proficiency requirement.

American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (Except Quebec), Dominica, Grenada, Grand Cayman, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, Malta, Monserrat, New Zealand, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, Trinidad/Tobago, Turks and Caicos Island, United Kingdom, U.K. Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands.


Credit-Bearing Programs

  • To apply to Summer College programs, UM High School, or JumpStart, please visit the program website.

Non-Credit Camps and Workshops

  • To apply to any of our one-week camps or workshops, please visit the camp’s website, click on “Register” and follow the online instructions.

Additionally, international students must submit the following documents to

  • A copy of the student’s passport (only biographical page)
  • A copy of current student visa
  • A copy of any accepted language proficiency examination score (if any) or language proficiency verification letter*
  • A copy of an international health insurance card if one at the moment of application

*This letter must be written and signed by a language instructor in the current school. Please send this letter to

Medical Insurance

All international students attending any of our summer programs, camps or workshops are required to be enrolled in a health insurance plan as a condition of enrollment. Summer College and JumpStart attendants are automatically enrolled in the insurance plan available through each program. All one-week international students are required to purchase their own health insurance plan for the number of week(s) the student will be on campus.

Visa Information

Students applying to one-week camps and workshops can attend under a B1 tourist visa, or any other visa the student holds at the moment.

Students applying to Summer College programs must obtain an F1 student visa*. The Office of International Programs issues the proper legal documents to international students AFTER the student has been admitted to the program and financial documents have been approved. This legal document is referred to as Form I-20 in support of the F-1 visa application. Form I-20 is needed to apply for the F-1 visa at the applicant’s local U.S. Consulate.

Students applying to JumpStart must be admitted as a freshman to the University of Mississippi. The student has the responsibility to notify the Office of International Programs (OIP) about participating in JumpStart so an I-20 form is issued with the correct start date.
While we provide helpful tips to help international students prepare for a successful visa interview at the U.S. Consulate, whether or not a visa is ultimately issued is solely between the U.S. Consular Officer and the student.

*An applicant is exempt of getting an F1 visa if he/she holds a different visa type or a green card. If you have a question regarding the type of visa needed to attend one of the credit-bearing programs, please contact the international high school advisor at

Steps to obtain an F-1 student visa

After the UM program application is approved, the candidate will receive the following documents via regular mail:

  • I-20 form
  • Acceptance letter from the University
  • Welcome pack
  1. Review the form I-20 to make sure all the information is correct.
    Check if your name, birth date, program, and program dates are accurate. If there is a mistake, contact the International Admissions Counselor immediately at
  2. Pay the required SEVIS fee to the U.S. Government and obtain a receipt.
    This payment should be made at the SEVIS website. A receipt of payment will be required to schedule an embassy appointment. For more information about SEVIS visit
  3. Complete online visa application forms and set up an F-1 visa appointment with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
    To find an Embassy or Consulate in your home country visit
  4. Present the following documents at your visa appointment:
    1. I-20 SEVIS fee receipt
    2. Acceptance letter
    3. Proof of funding
    4. Valid passport (with an expiration date minimum of 6 months after the end date of the program)
    5. Copy of your latest English proficiency score if you have one (not needed if applying to the Intensive English Program)

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts are those issued directly by the institution at which the coursework is being completed, holding original seals and/or stamps and/or signatures. The school must provide an English translation of the official transcript for it to be accepted. Translations can also be accepted if the original document is accompanied by a certified official transcript with a seal on it.