for incoming freshmen
Are you ready…for Freshman year at Ole Miss?
JumpStart offers incoming freshmen the chance to begin their first year of college during the summer after they graduate from high school. The purpose of the program is to help students with their transition from high school to college life by immersing them in course rigor similar to what they will experience in their first Fall semester, supplemented with in-program activities that build academic skills and connect students to other programs and resources on the Ole Miss campus.
JumpStart is a great option for students that want to get ahead or take care of pre-requisites or developmental studies (DS) courses before the Fall.
Students are enrolled as full-time summer students and start learning about life at Ole Miss before the rest of the freshman class. The program offers workshops, guest speakers and guided social activities. Program activities are designed to enhance the college experience and give students the tools they need to make their next four years a success.
Summer 2023 Sessions*
- First Summer (June) Session: May 29 – June 27, 2023
- Second Summer (July) Session: June 28 – July 28, 2023
June Session: May 1
July Session: June 1
*May, Full Summer, and August sessions are not options for JumpStart students. Students are welcome to register for August session courses with the guidance of their advisors at Orientation, but the JumpStart program will not be in operation at that time.
New Summer 2023! JumpStart now offers two tracks – Classic and Opportunity. Both tracks offer a unique experience for incoming freshmen based on the “jumpstart” they want.
|Classic (Traditional JumpStart)||Opportunity (New Summer 2023)|
JumpStart Classic is the program thousands of students have enjoyed since JumpStart’s inception at the University of Mississippi in Summer 2006. Classic offers students the chance to:
JumpStart Opportunity takes a deep dive into the specific skill sets needed for student success — academic, wellness, and social — in addition to the life skills covered in Classic. Students in JumpStart Opportunity will:
Note: This track is only available to students who have been awarded the Ole Miss Opportunity Scholarship OR the Red and Blue Scholarship.
JumpStart is a great way for students to get ahead and/or ease into the transition from high school to college life. There are many benefits and advantages for incoming freshmen attending JumpStart:
- Enroll as a full-time student in summer (6 credit hours in June or July sessions).
- Gain the skills and tools needed for student success.
- Experience college life with a small cohort before the Fall rush.
- Get the inside scoop on anything and everything Ole Miss!
Students must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the JumpStart Program:
- Be admitted to the University of Mississippi
- Be an incoming freshman for the Fall
- Register for full-time enrollment in your chosen summer session(s)
- Scholarship eligibility: Only Mississippi residents are eligible for the JumpStart Opportunity Scholarship. Chinese/Arabic Flagship students attending required language courses through JumpStart in summer are eligible for a JumpStart scholarship.
To participate, students must meet the following requirements before the start date of a JumpStart session:
- Attend Ole Miss Freshman Orientation
- Meet with an academic advisor
- Register for summer courses (at least 6 credit hours in June or July sessions)
- Register and live in on-campus summer student housing