Ecology Day Camp
A Hands-On Experience at the Field Station
Sponsored in part by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ).
Grades: Rising 1st - 6th graders
University of Mississippi Employees (full-time) may choose ONE of the following employee benefit options: Save $25 per week now by paying the full cost upfront with a card. –OR–
Choose Payroll Deduction – Full price ($175/week) of day camp taken out over six (6) pay periods starting with the first payroll of July. Available until June 15th.
Location: UM Field Station
Follow us on social media for sneak peeks, updates, and reminders. Want to get updates sent directly to your inbox? Sign up for our email list.
Explore the great outdoors in a whole new way and learn what you can do to protect our wild places. The UM Field Station offers classroom and lab settings indoors as well as the benefits of an active field research site. Campers will study birds, bugs, amphibians, reptiles, and aquatic creatures with the guidance of certified educators and conservation professionals. Activities vary with weekly themes but may include collecting and identifying plants and animals, spotting evidence of animal activities in the field station woods, comparing habitats, water sampling, using microscopes or scientific instrumentation, and creating art with natural materials. Daily snacks will be provided.
The Field Station is located at 15 Co Rd 202, Abbeville, MS 38601, just 20 minutes from downtown Oxford.
Sponsor Department: UM Biology Field Station and Office of Pre-College Programs
Camp Type: Day Camp
Seats Available: 20 max
Week 1: Water World: June 7 – 11 (Rising 4th-6th Grades)
Week 2: Birds and Bugs: June 14 - 18 (Rising 1st-3rd Grades)
Week 3: Water World: June 21 - 25 (Rising 1st-3rd Grades)
Week 4: Birds and Bugs: July 5 – July 9 (Rising 1st-3rd Grades)
Week 5: Water World: July 12 – July 16 (Rising 1st-3rd Grades)
Week 6: Birds and Bugs: July 19 - 23 (Rising 4th-6th Grades)
|7:30 – 8:00 a.m.||Morning Drop Off (UM Field Station, 15 County Road 2078, Abbeville)|
|8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Ecology Day Camp Activities|
|5:00 - 5:30 p.m.||Afternoon Pick Up (UM Field Station, 15 County Road 2078, Abbeville)|
Registration for a camp or program is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
Please only register one student at a time
- Step 1: Use the link above to go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Select the appropriate options and click “Add Event to Cart.”
- Step 3: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 4: Enter the Student’s Information, Parent/Guardian, Emergency Contact, and additional information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
Submit Medical Form
The Office of Pre-College Programs requires all participating students to have medical paperwork and emergency contact information on file if a student is registered for an in-person program. This information is used in the event an accident or emergency occurs involving a student participant.
- Step 1: Complete our Medical Form.
- Step 2: The following documentation must also be sent to the Office of Pre-College Programs: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
- Copy of Insurance Card (front and back sides) or Waiver of Insurance Form (included in Medical Form)
- Copy of a Parent/Guardian’s Driver's License (front and back sides)
For security of the student and parent’s information, our office does not recommend emailing or faxing medical documents.
Submit COVID Compliance Form
In accordance with University of Mississippi guidelines and policy regarding COVID-19 health and safety for on-campus summer programs, all residential, commuter, or day camp students are required to have a custodial parent/legal guardian review and complete the online COVID-19 Compliance, Liability Waiver, and Assumption of the Risk Addendum Form with the appropriate student and parent information.
The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review and complete the online Agreement Form with the appropriate student and parent information.
Cancellations and Refunds
Registrations may be cancelled up to two weeks prior to the selected session to receive an 80% refund. Refunds are not available if cancellation occurs less than two weeks prior to the selected session. Full refunds will be issued if the camp is cancelled due to low enrollment.
We know you share our concern for the safety of our children and staff. Please review the following protocols to make sure you understand how we will be caring for everyone this summer. These may be revised as the university updates health guidelines in our changing conditions.
Pick-up and Drop-off
- We will conduct a symptom check at drop-off daily. Any child with symptoms will be sent home.
- No parents will be permitted inside the buildings for pick-up/drop-off. Children may be picked up and dropped off outside in the designated area. Children will be escorted inside by staff as they arrive.
During the Day
- Masks and social distancing will be required indoors. When outdoors, masks will be required if 6 feet of distance is not possible to maintain.
- Children cannot be transported in closed vehicles. At Ecology Day Camp, we will still be able to use the pickup truck to safely transport children around the Field Station.
- Children and staff will practice good hygiene including regular handwashing before and after meals.
In the Case of Illness
- A child with symptoms that manifest during camp will be isolated with supervision. We expect family to pick up their child as soon as possible.
- If a camp experiences an outbreak, the program will close for the week. Rooms will be sanitized. “Take home” bags of supplies for activities that would have been done at camp will be made available for pick up.
- Camps will follow university, MS Department of Health, and American Camp Association guidelines in determining when it is appropriate to shut down.
- Refunds will be made for camps that shut down early. These refunds will be proportional to days missed and adjusted for scholarship amounts. Please see table:
For additional information, please contact: