The University of Mississippi Academic Quiz Tournament (UMAQT) is an annual quiz bowl tournament for the state of Mississippi and neighboring schools in the Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee areas. This tournament welcomes 64 teams from these areas to compete in a fun and scholarly atmosphere. Schools outside this area are welcome to enter teams.
UMAQT’s setup is a double-elimination format with brackets randomly seeded. Teams compete for the Dr. M. Lynne Murchison Memorial Championship Trophy. Championship Rounds will follow a single-elimination format.
UMAQT adheres to the official NAQT Rules and Guidelines.
Format: In person, Oxford campus
Tournament Type: Double-Elimination, Single Elimination Championship
Sponsor: Office of Pre-College Programs, Division of Outreach and Continuing Education
Team check-in will begin at 7:45 a.m. and will end at 8:45 a.m. All teams must check-in with the tournament staff before participating. Round One will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. If a team arrives more than 5 minutes late to a match, the match will be automatically forfeited.
In each round, there will be 8 concurrent matches. Therefore, 32 teams will have no match from 9:00 to 9:30 a.m.; the other 32 teams will have no match from 9:35 to 10:05 a.m. Please remember to return in time for a match. Any team that is not in place at the scheduled time will forfeit the match.
Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places. Summer Program scholarships will be given to teams for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places.
Format: In person, Oxford campus
Team Check-In: 7:45 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
Double Elimination: 4 brackets, 64 teams, 11 rounds
|1||9:00 to 9:30 a.m.||(first 8 teams)|
|2||9:35 to 10:05 a.m.||(second 8 teams)|
|3||10:10 to 10:40 a.m.||(teams that lost in rounds 1 & 2)|
|4||10:45 to 11:15 a.m.||(teams that won in round 1 & 2)|
|5||11:50 to 12:20 p.m.||(after 5 rounds, 8 teams remain)|
|6||1:30 to 2:00 p.m.||(after 6 rounds, 6 teams remain)|
|7||2:05 to 2:35 p.m.||(after 7 rounds, 4 teams remain)|
|8||2:40 to 3:10 p.m.||(after 8 rounds, 3 teams remain)|
|9||3:15 to 3:45 p.m.||(after 9 rounds, 2 teams remain)|
|10||3:50 to 4:20 p.m.||(Finals)|
|11||4:25 to 4:55 p.m.||(Finals, if Round 10 is first loss)|
Awards Ceremony – immediately after Round 11 matches are completed
Note: The above schedule is subject to change until the day of the tournament. Any and all changes will be noted on the official live bracket, available at the tournament.
Registration is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
- Register Online
- Step 1: Go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Click “Add to Cart.”
- Step 3: Enter the Student’s Information and click “Continue.”
- Step 4: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 5: Enter the Parent/Guardian and Emergency Contact Information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
- Submit Medical Form
- We value the safety and well-being of all our participating students. In the case emergency or medical attention is required, ALL camps and programs require parents to submit medical forms on behalf of the student. Please DO NOT forget to return this form to our office as this will hold up the registration process for your student. If you have already submitted the medical form for a camp this summer, you will not have to submit it again. We do not retain medical documentation from previous summers.
- Step 1: Download and complete the Summer Medical Form (at top of page) with the appropriate student and parent information.
- Step 2: Attach a copy of:
- Student’s insurance card,
- Parent’s driver’s license
- Shot records with the last Tetanus Immunization or Booster Shot, and
- Any other medical documents needed to seek treatment
- Step 3: Send the form and attachments to our office at: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
- For the security of you and your student’s information, please do not email or fax medical forms to our office. We request that you mail or bring the forms to our office.
- Submit Agreement
- The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review these guidelines and rules and discuss with your student(s) before the first day of the program. The Agreement Form is available at the top of the page.
For additional information, please contact: