A Celebration of Imagination
Celebrate the unique memory that emerges in student writing! The University of Mississippi Writing Competition, sponsored by the Division of Outreach, Office of Pre-College Programs and the University of Mississippi Writing Project, is an annual teachers workshop and mail-in competition for the state of Mississippi and neighboring schools in the Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee areas.
The Writing Competition consists of multiple writing categories, all revolving around a central theme. The categories offered include:
- Essay (narrative or expository)
- Short Story
The 2016 Writing Competition theme is "A Celebration of Imagination". All projects listed above must adhere to the Writing Competition theme.
The 2016 Writing Competition's Teacher Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday, October 12, 2016. The Writing Competition submission deadline is January 31, 2017. An awards ceremony for the Writing Competition will be held on Thursday, April 20, 2017, at the E.F. Yerby Conference Center on the University of Mississippi's Oxford campus.
Writing Competition Teachers Workshop
Event registration deadline for the 2016 Writing Competition Teachers Workshop is Friday, October 7, 2016
The cost of registration is $150 per teacher. Teachers will register for the workshop by submitting an online or paper registration (located at top of page) with payment made to "University of Mississippi" noted for "Writing Competition".
Writing Competition Student Project
Student Project registration deadline for the 2016 Writing Competition is Friday, January 31, 2017. An official student project registration form must accompany each entry. See above for the student project registration form.
Student Project entries for the Writing Competition will be mailed to:
Division of Outreach
PO Box 1848
University, MS 38677
There are three (3) different categories to choose from.
- Essay (narrative or expository)
- Short Essay
Entries will be judged on literary merit and usage/grammar appropriate to grade level. The work is not to be taken from or based upon any writing by any author famous or unknown, student or adult - or from any published or unpublished source such as a book, magazine, literary anthology, or the like. Judges will be teacher consultants from the University of Mississippi Writing Project.
- The competition is open to students currently enrolled in grades 7th-12th.
- Entries should consist of original pieces of writing:
- Short Stories
- Acceptable format of entries:
- Typed using Microsoft Word or another word processor
- Double-spaced on one side of paper only. No double-sided printing.
- 12 point font, Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman
- Maximum word limit:
- 1,500 words for 7th-8th grades
- 3,000 words for 9th-12th grades
- Project Submission Form should be stapled to the front of the entry
- NO NAME should appear on the entry itself. Entries with names will be disqualified.
- Titles are required on the entry and should match the title provided on the submission form. Titles should be punctuated correctly. No underlining or quotation marks of titles on original work.
- Entries should NOT be bound or laminated and should NOT include a cover or filler sheet.
An Awards Day Program will be held onThursday, April 20, 2017 at the E.F. Yerby Conference Center.
Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each category, according to class division (junior high or high school).
For additional information, please contact:
Director of Academic Competitions
E.F. Yerby Conference Center, Room 2
Grove Loop at University Avenue
Outreach and Continuing Education
Office of Pre-College Programs
The University of Mississippi
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848