Celebrate the unique memory that emerges in student writing. The workshop will focus on strategies to develop the student's memory in all modes of writing.
- The contest is open to students currently enrolled in grades 7-12.
- Entries should consist of original pieces of writing: poetry, short stories, or essays.
- Acceptable format of entries:
- Must be handwritten on paper appropriate for grade level or prepared on a word processor, one side of paper only.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student alone, created during the current school year, and must not have been previously published or submitted to another contest.
- Entries should not be bound or laminated and should not include cover or filler sheets.
- This form should be stapled to the entry.
- NO NAME should appear on the entry itself. Entries with names will be disqualified.
- Titles should be punctuated correctly. No underlining or quotation marks of titles on original work.
Deadline for Submissions
Received by Friday, Janurary 17, 2014
P.O. Box 9
University, MS 38677
Categories of writing
Poetry, Short Story, Essay (Narrative or Expository)
Entries will be judged on literary merit and usage/grammar appropriate to grade level. The work is not to be taken from or based upon any writing by any author famous or unknown, student or adult – or from any published or unpublished source such as book, magazine, literary anthology, or the like. Judges will be teacher consultants from the University of Mississippi Writing Project.
An Awards Day Program will be held on Thursday, February 6, 2014 at the E.F. Yerby Conference Center.
2011 Announcement of Winners
Winners were announced on November 3, 2011. An Awards Day Program was held on November 10, 2011 at the E.F. Yerby Conference Center.
|Junior High School Story|
|1st Place||Brentson Hall||Holy Family School|
|2nd Place||Wittney Brown||The Donoho School|
|3rd Place||Tabatha Daniels||Rebul Academy|
|Junior High Essay|
|1st Place||Sam Bates||St. Andrew's Episcopal|
|2nd Place||Qyara Love||Pope Jr. High School|
|3rd Place||Bethany Cotten||Pope Jr. High School|
|Junior High Poetry|
|1st Place||Raveena Aggarwal||St. Andrew's Episcopal|
|2nd Place||Abigail Fraley||Fraley Homeschool|
|3rd Place||Deeksha Mishra||St. Andrew's Episcopal|
|High School Short Story|
|1st Place||Jeremy Griffin||Germantown High School|
|2nd Place||Katie Friedman||Germantown High School|
|3rd Place||Jeremy Griffin||Germantown High School|
|High School Essay|
|1st Place||Laura Sharp||Germantown High School|
|2nd Place||Victoria Gray||Germantown High School|
|3rd Place||Renee Blevins||Germantown High School|
|High School Poetry|
|1st Place||Emma Liston||St. Andrew's Episcopal|
|2nd Place||Micah Russell||Russell Homeschool|
|3rd Place||LeeAnn Bailey||Germantown High School|
Division of Outreach
E.F. Yerby Conference Center
The University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677
- Math Tournament
- Modern Language Fair
- MS Brain Brawl
- Chess Invitational
- Mock Trial
- Forensics Tournament
- History Day Competition
- Jr. Science & Humanities Symposium
- Science and Engineering Fair
- MS Scholastic Press Association
- Sixth Annual Writing Competition
- STEM Competition (formerly known as Engineering Competition)
- Contact Us