Selection and Qualification
From the group of nominated applicants, a committee comprised of University officials will select 40 total applicants, 20 per session. Students will be ranked on demonstrated interest in public service, leadership, concern for others, and academic achievements. The committee will attempt to form a class with diverse interests and experiences.
Nomination Procedure and Guidelines
Educators and mentors, click here to submit an online nomination.
Students, click here to download a brochure about the program.
Once the nomination is submitted online, students will receive an email with information about how to apply for the program.
In order to be considered for selection, students MUST meet the following UM early admission requirements:
- Currently be in 8th grade.
- Demonstrate a commitment to others whether in the form of school/community leadership, family/neighborhood responsibilities, or volunteerism.
Required Application Materials:
- Online application with essay responses (Applications will be sent to student upon nomination.)
- Current high school transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or administrator (This recommender shall not be the person who made the nomination.)
- All ACT or SAT scores to date
- School approval form for admissions purposes
What Students are Saying
Former participants have shared their feedback with us. Take a look!
“I had one of the best experiences of my life while I was here.”
“ I met truly interesting speakers and that inspired me to be like them.”