Lott Summer Leadership Institute
Selection and Qualification
From the group of nominated applicants, a committee comprised of University officials will select 40 total applicants, 20 per session. Students will be ranked on demonstrated interest in public service, leadership, concern for others, and academic achievements. The committee will attempt to form a class with diverse interests and experiences.
Nomination Procedure and Guidelines
Educators and mentors, click here to submit an online nomination.
Students, click here to download a brochure about the program.
Once the nomination is submitted online, students will receive an email with information about how to apply for the program.
In order to be considered for selection, students MUST meet the following UM early admission requirements:
- Be an eleventh-grade student in good academic and conduct standing at the time of admission. The school can be public, private, parochial, or even home-educated.
- Have earned 14 high school credits by the end of the current school year with at least a 3.2 GPA.
- Demonstrate a commitment to others whether in the form of school/community leadership, family/neighborhood responsibilities, or volunteerism.
Required Application Materials:
- Online application with essay responses (Applications will be sent to student upon nomination.)
- Current high school transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or administrator (This recommender shall not be the person who made the nomination.)
- All ACT or SAT scores to date
- School approval form for admissions purposes
What Students are Saying
Former participants have shared their feedback with us. Take a look!
“I had a great experience at Lott! I enjoyed getting to know people for 5 weeks and being able to have a connection with them for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the courses that we had to take and I feel like they prepared me for college. I really enjoyed going to Washington with my session and traveling with them. If I had the chance to do it again, I would in a heart beat.”
“Lott impacted me not only in my studies, but as the person I am. It gave me so many incredible, driven, and loving friends that have left imprints on my heart forever. Lott showed me that it doesn't matter where you start because you can do anything if you're willing to "be brilliant," and work for it. I will never forget my time during the Lott Leadership Program, and the people it blessed me with.”