Lott Summer Leadership Institute
Selection and Qualification
From the group of nominated applicants, a committee comprised of University officials will select 40 total applicants, 20 per session. Students will be ranked on demonstrated interest in public service, leadership, concern for others, and academic achievements. The committee will attempt to form a class with diverse interests and experiences.
Nomination Procedure and Guidelines
Educators and mentors: Submit an online nomination
Application information will be sent to students December 1st or within 5 days of the nomination, whichever is latest.
In order to be considered for selection, students MUST meet the following UM early admission requirements:
- Be classified as an eleventh-grade student, or rising senior, in good academic and conduct standing at the time of application. The school can be public, private, or parochial. Home-schooled students are also eligible.
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Submit a School Approval Form signed by principal and guidance counselor
- Demonstrate a commitment to others whether in the form of school/community leadership, family/neighborhood responsibilities, or volunteerism.
Please note: in March students will be offered provisional acceptance to the program pending the University's determination of their eligibility for admission as dual credit students. The program reserves the right to alter a selection decision if a student is determined to be ineligible for dual credit admission.
Required Application Materials:
- Online application with essay response (Applications will be sent to student December 1st or within 5 days of nomination, whichever is latest).
- Current high school transcript
- Video response to provided prompt
- All ACT or SAT scores to date
- Two reference forms completed by a teacher or mentor
- School approval form for admissions purposes
What Students are Saying
Former participants have shared their feedback with us. Take a look!
“I had a great experience at Lott! I enjoyed getting to know people for 5 weeks and being able to have a connection with them for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the courses that we had to take and I feel like they prepared me for college. I really enjoyed going to Washington with my session and traveling with them. If I had the chance to do it again, I would in a heart beat.”
“Lott impacted me not only in my studies, but as the person I am. It gave me so many incredible, driven, and loving friends that have left imprints on my heart forever. Lott showed me that it doesn't matter where you start because you can do anything if you're willing to "be brilliant," and work for it. I will never forget my time during the Lott Leadership Program, and the people it blessed me with.”