Staff Policies and Procedures

Accounting Procedures

Deposits will be prepared daily with a cutoff at 12:00 noon. Any deposits received after 12:00 p.m. will be deposited the following day. University policy and sound accounting practices require regular reporting and depositing of cash receipts. Please be sure deposits are taken to Becky within 24 hours of receipt of funds. This is for your protection as well as your benefit.

A deposit will not be accepted without the following: properly filled out receipt(s), funds to coincide with the receipts and the account number noted on the receipt. All checks should be stamped or endorsed when given to Becky. If a deposit is received without the above information, it will be returned to you for proper documentation.

Deposits should be placed in Becky’s hands. (Or handed to Dena or Ginger if Becky is unavailable.) DO NOT JUST PUT THEM ON SOMEONE’S DESK, OR HIDE IT UNDER SOMETHING ON A DESK.

Cash reports will come back to the director for a signature so you will know when the deposit goes to the Bursar. Also, you will know that there is a problem if the funds don’t hit your account timely. Be sure and notify Beth should you have any issues with funds not showing up timely so she can check on them.

Requests for Pay
Requests for pay will be processed on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a 12:00 noon cutoff on each of these days for same day processing. Anything received after 12:00 p.m. on either of these days will be processed the next RFP day. Invoices received on Fridays, will be processed on the following Tuesday.

Invoices will be stamped received in the accounting office with the date and time it is turned in to Becky so there will be no confusion regarding the date of receipt or the date the RFP will be processed.

An invoice will not be accepted for payment without the following: a “who, what, when, where and why” memo and an account NUMBER to charge to. For example, “General Instructional” is not an account number. If you don’t know an account number, consult Beth to get one. If the above criteria are not met, the invoice will be returned to you so you can provide the necessary information for processing the payment.

Please don’t hold invoices. Be sure these are taken to Becky timely so that they can be sent to Procurement timely.

Procurement Card Statements
Anyone who uses a procurement card is required to check out the card by signing it out on the clipboard on Becky’s desk.

Any transaction that hits the card must have proper documentation and a memo turned in to Becky to be sent to Procurement. Proper documentation means a receipt that matches the amount charged to the card. This includes items processed in error, returns and all purchases. For example, if you purchase something from 4Imprint that costs $250.35, don’t turn in a receipt for $32.50.

If you purchase a piece of equipment, furniture, etc. with the Procurement Card (over $250) it needs a property tag. You must turn in this Property Number with your documentation.

Failure to submit proper documentation timely (within 5 days) will result in your card privileges being revoked after a second offense per Dr. Chitwood.

E-form Processing
If Ginger is preparing a Form 13 for you for anyone who is not previously set up in the system or a university employee, you must have a W-9 submitted to her one week in advance of the day the form needs to be processed. These people must be set up in the University system before the forms can be submitted. There is no way to process a form for anyone that is not set up in the system.

Be sure to turn in all documentation needed to accompany these forms

If you know you have people that need to be paid, be proactive in getting W-9 forms from them so that there is no delay in processing their payment form.

For all other e-forms you are preparing, be sure these are routed to Dr. Chitwood after department head approval

Confidentiality Policy

Any full-time, part-time, faculty, staff or employee, may in the capacity of their job have access to confidential or proprietary information. All information is to be treated as confidential and shall not be used in any fashion other than its contemplated purpose. All employees must have a signed Confidentiality Agreement in their personnel file. Supervisors are responsible for getting the signed agreement on the new employee’s first day of employment.

Credit Card Policy

All credit cards owned by the Office of Outreach must be kept in a secure location. Log sheets are used for checking out the cards.

A separate log is kept for each VISA card. The log includes the date and time the card is checked out and back in, where the card is used, the person taking the card, the account that is to be charged and indication of receipt returned.

The cards are for official university business only.

The employees checking the cards out are responsible for any charges placed on the card while in their possession. Personal charges and charges without receipts will be reimbursed by the employee in possession of the card and that employee will risk losing the privilege of using the card.

Office of Outreach Cash Receipts

Receipt books can be ordered online from the Internal Audit department. Receipts should be written in ink, making sure that all copies are legible. Include the date (when receipt is written), name (person or company paying), amount received (and check box for check, CC, cash as appropriate), Program name, initial (person writing receipt), and For (participant name if different from person making payment).

Please attach a list of participants if an organization is paying for more than one person or a notation of the person who is registering if a different entity pays the fee (i.e., City of Oxford sends check to pay registration fee for Mr. Lewis – The receipt is written to “City of Oxford” and “Lewis” would be noted in the “For” line.) The total of the receipts and the total of each monetary type must equal.

  • The receipt book should be given to the employee designated to receipt deposits.
  • The white copy is for the payee.
  • The yellow copy of the receipt is sent to the Accounting Office along with funds for deposit. These will be filed with the deposit records.
  • The pink copy should remain in the receipt book and kept for records.

These files must be kept for a minimum of 3 years. If an error is made when writing a receipt, it must be marked void and the white copy of the voided receipt should be turned in to the Accounting Office with the consecutive numbered receipts.

Cash Reports
Cash Reports will be completed by the Outreach Accounting Office, using the information from the receipts. The Cash Reports are assigned numbers consecutively starting with the number 1 at the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1). The Cash Report must include the departmental name, the beginning and ending date that all monies were receipted, the complete business area, G/L code, and account number or the short account assignment number, beginning and ending official receipt numbers, totals, and monetary breakdown. The department head or approved signing director must sign authorizing the deposit of funds. A copy of the Cash Report is kept in the Accounting Office. The original Cash Report is taken, along with the funds to be deposited, to the Bursar Office. Money is deposited daily. For offices located in Yerby, the Business Office will take deposits received by 12:00 p.m. to the Bursar daily. Any funds received after 12:00 p.m. may go to the Bursar on the following day. 

Payment Processes

All expenditures must be appropriately documented. It is the responsibility of the employee that initiates the purchase to acquire the necessary documentation for processing.

Areas of major concern are meals, banquets, alcohol, gifts or prizes, group hotel bills.


In order to process for payment, there must be an itemized receipt along with a list of individuals attending and a justification or reason for the meal. This information must also be provided for meals catered by Aramark. For a meal to be categorized as a group meal there must be individuals that are not University employees attending the meal or banquet. The meal can not exceed $25.00 per person without prior approval from the Director.

Neither alcohol nor bartenders can be paid through the University. If an organization insists upon providing alcohol, they must do so using their own funding. If they do, then they must also pay the bartending fees. Outreach will not be responsible for providing alcohol or bartenders for any function.

When Outreach is hired to organize a conference, workshop or meeting, Outreach staff will be in charge of making all arrangements (i.e. vendor contact for meals, receptions, travel….) that will be paid through the University. Outreach will not be responsible for paying bills for anything not organized by Outreach personnel.

Gifts, Flowers, Door Prizes, Registration Packets, Promotional Items

There are few instances where these purchases are allowable.

Gifts are never allowable. They can not be purchased for anyone in lieu of payment or in thanks for providing a service. This includes flowers or fruit baskets for hotel rooms.

The only occasion that flowers may be purchased is when they are for decoration for an event.

Door prizes can never be purchased with University funds. Door prizes may be solicited from sponsors.

Promotional items or registration packets for conference attendees may be purchased using registration fees (unless a grant is sponsoring the conference) There must be documentation identifying the use of the items as well as proof of registration funding to cover. (The spreadsheet, kept by the employee in charge of the conference, should suffice as documentation)

If a granting agency is sponsoring the conference or workshop, then they must agree that fees may be used for items given to the attendees. If in doubt, do not purchase.

Group Hotel Bills

Group hotel bills can only consist of room charges and associated taxes. When booking rooms for a group or a speaker, make sure the hotel understands that the University will only be responsible for room fees & associated taxes. For example, no phone, movie, room service, internet, mini bar, dry cleaning fees can be charged. Each bill must be scrutinized for discrepancies before submitting for payment.

Employees’ rooms can not be included on the master billing. Each employee must pay for their room and include it on their travel reimbursement. Employee travel must not be charged to the University.

Payroll Process

Timesheets are completed by all non-exempt personnel and must be signed and approved by the employee and departmental chair/director. A copy of the approved timesheet is kept on file for a minimum of 7 years.

Timesheets are entered in SAP by an employee in each departmental area of Outreach and are approved in SAP by the Outreach Business Office.

For more details see policy HRO.PC.400.040

Sign in sheets must be used for all student workers. Students must sign in and out in order to get paid. The sign in sheets are kept at a central location in each departmental area (i.e. the receptionist desk in Yerby). The sign in sheets must be attached to the time sheets for processing.

Compensatory or Overtime pay is provided for non-exempt, or overtime eligible, employees. All overtime must be approved prior to the work being performed. The employee and their supervisor will agree upon the type of reimbursement (compensatory or overtime pay). No more than 240 hours of compensatory time can be accrued. If an employee reaches the maximum amount, then they will be compensated at their overtime rate of pay for any hours over 40 in a regular work week. Compensatory time must be used before using accrued Personal Leave. For more details see police HRO.EM.300.150

Exempt personnel report all personal and sick leave on timesheets that is signed and approved by the employee and departmental chair/director. Leave must be reported in the correct time period during which it is taken. A copy of the approved timesheet is kept on file for a minimum of 7 years. These timesheets are entered and approved in SAP using the same guidelines as the non-exempt personnel.

The following policies related to Leave Time will supply more detailed information:

Leave Guidelines:

Personal Leave (12 month employees):

Major Medical (staff employees):

Property Inventory Procedures

Each Outreach division must have an employee responsible for maintaining the inventory of equipment for their division.

Annually each item of equipment on inventory must be located and verified by not only the inventory control employee but also another employee. All items must be accounted for, the inventory sheets must be signed by the two employees that verified their location and kept on file.

Equipment that can not be located must be removed from inventory. See the University policy, Lost or Stolen Property (PUR.PI.108.031), for instructions on how to handle missing items.

Any equipment items that are no longer in use should be salvaged. See the University policy, Salvage, Dismantling or Cannibalization (PUR.PI.108.030), for details on how to correctly dispose of unused equipment.

Public Relations Policy

All information released to public media is prepared by the Outreach Marketing Department. All areas of Outreach must submit their requests to Outreach Marketing, which will then draft documents for review by University Communications. University Communications makes any necessary revisions and gives final approval before distributing to the media.

Invoicing/Sales Tax Procedures

Invoices are created by the Administrative Coordinator from detail provided by Project/Program Coordinators, the Director of Camps/Conferences, the Director of Non-Credit, and the Director of Distance Learning. This may be submitted by memo, conference/transportation billing sheet or email. If you submit a memo or email, you must provide the following information:

  • Name of Person/Company/School to be invoiced
  • Billing Address
  • Service Provided
  • Date of Service Provided
  • Amount Due for each Service Provided
  • Account Number to credit when payment is received

The Administrative Coordinator will determine items that must be taxed and will create an invoice for the charges. The invoice is then recorded in a Master Invoice/Interdepartmental Log, assigning sequential invoice numbers which in turn will be used on the invoice sent to the customer. A copy of the invoice is kept along with the documentation from the email or memo in a notebook in invoice number order.

When payment comes in, it must be delivered to the Accountant. It will be logged into the Master Invoice/Interdepartmental Log as received and then given to the originator of the invoice for receipting to the proper account. Once receipt is prepared, the deposit should be hand delivered to the Sr. Project Administrator for processing.

At the end of the month, the Administrative Coordinator pulls all invoices and interdepartmentals for the month and creates two new spreadsheets (one for Yerby charges and one for Depot charges). Those spreadsheets then separate charges based on non-taxable and taxable. The taxable invoices are separated, and the taxes owed are determined and paid. Copies of the payment and all backup are kept in a notebook by the Administrative Coordinator. Originals are sent to the Central Accounting Department for processing.

Scholarship Reconciliation Policy

Scholarships for students are entered into the SAP Accounting Software by each of the following Office of Outreach and Continuing Education employees: Director of Summer School, Coordinator of Credit Program Services, and Coordinator of Summer Programs. When the Director of Summer School enters scholarships into SAP, the Coordinator of Summer Programs will verify that the scholarships were granted to the appropriate students and the scholarship amounts are correct. The Coordinator of Summer Programs will also verify the information that the Coordinator of Credit Program Services enters into SAP. The Coordinator of Credit Program Services will verify the information that the Coordinator of Summer Programs enters into SAP. Once confirmed that all information is correct, the person verifying will sign and initial the report. The report will then be provided to the Accountant who will insure that all scholarship information is correct when conducting the monthly reconciliation on the accounts that the scholarships were charged.


The University offers guidelines for departments to utilize when planning for and paying expenses. These regulations should answer all questions concerning the legitimacy of current or future expenditures.

For guidelines and examples of allowable entertainment see PUR.AP.100.003. It covers entertainment of guests, prospective employees & others; retirement receptions; official University functions and official Student functions.

For guidelines and examples of unallowable entertainment expenditures see PUR.AP.100.004, which includes departmental social functions, alcohol, flowers, etc. that can not be paid for with University funds.

For guidelines and examples of other expenditures see:

PUR.AP.100.005 for gifts

PUR.AP.100.011 for membership dues

PUR.AP.100.007 for awards

PUR.AP.100.006for promotional items or similar items used for the recruitment of students

PUR.AP.100.014 for the payment of relocation/moving expenses of new faculty and administrators

PUR.AP.100.001 for examples of items that can not be purchased with UM funds

There are some items that may be purchased without issuing a Purchase Order. For a list of these items see PUR.AP.100.002.

There are items under $500.00 that are still classified as equipment and must be coded and tagged as equipment. See PUR.PI.108.002

The next two policies pertain to payment for services. PUR.AP.100.015 concerns payments to individuals or companies providing services to the University and PUR.AP.100.012 provides guidelines for payment to non-U.S. citizens.

To access the policy click on the link provided and then read the policy narrative.

Telephone Long Distance Access

Each Outreach employee that makes Official business long distance phone calls must attain their own long distance access code from Telephone Exchange. Please see University Policy Code ADM.TC.400.115 for details.

Every month employees will receive notification from Telephone Exchange that long distance statements are available. The statement must be printed and scrutinized for any errors or unauthorized calls. The employee must sign the statement verifying that all calls charged are legitimate business calls. Their supervisor must also sign and then file with expense documentation for the account to which it is charged.

Travel Expense Policy

It is University policy that all travel expenses incurred by an employee of the University are the responsibility of the employee. No other employee may bear the expense for another employee. If you travel for the University, you must be prepared to pay your own expenses and file the necessary paperwork with receipts for reimbursement, upon returning to the campus. The University offers the American Express Corporate card to employees to be used for official business travel. This card may be applied for through the Travel Office. The card is the responsibility of the employee not the University. Employees may choose to use their own credit cards if they do not wish to get an American Express card. Beginning July 1, 2007, Outreach employees will no longer be able to use someone else’s credit card for their travel expenses.

For details concerning travel procedures, please refer to the University Travel Policy, .


FIND IT QUICK!    A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  XYZ