Lott Summer Leadership Institute
About the Summer Leadership Institute
Since the Lott Summer Leadership Institute for High School Students was initiated in the summer of 2000 at the University of Mississippi, hundreds of students from across the United States have expressed enthusiasm for the life-altering experience of participating in the Summer Leadership Institute.
The Summer Leadership Institute for High School Students is a partnership between the University of Mississippi’s Lott Leadership Institute and the Division of Outreach’s Summer College for High School Students. The goals of the program are to develop leadership skills in young citizens and prepare them for college. In order to achieve these goals, the Summer Leadership Institute brings together student leaders from across the United States to earn college credit on the UM campus and to begin the study of leadership.
Included in the program are opportunities to mingle with college administrators, student leaders, and community professionals while participating in current event debates, discussions, and decision-making activities. The program culminates in a carefully curated visit to Washington, D.C. On this trip, participants meet with their elected representatives, sample the cultural life of the nation's capital, and network with D.C. professionals working in both for-profit and non-profit worlds. The ideal outcome is for students completing the program to put their new skills to work for the betterment of their communities.
Benefits of the program:
- Earn six (6) college credit hours transferable to most public U.S. universities.
- Live on campus with other participants from the United States and from abroad.
- Challenge yourself with intellectually intense course content in the company of motivated peers.
- Gain real-world public speaking and networking skills with the guidance of seasoned faculty and business professionals.
- Create meaningful and lasting friendships.
- Explore Washington, D.C. through a guided experience that includes individual meetings with your representatives, community service, cultural events, and gatherings with Lott alums who are now leaders in industry and government.
What Students are Saying
Former participants have shared their feedback with us. Take a look!
“The most fantabulous, amazing, through the roof program ever. I never wanted to leave.”
“It was amazing. I would recommend this program to anyone!”
“It made me more open minded, more dynamic, and a more effective public speaker.”