In today’s global marketplace, employers can choose the most gifted candidates from anywhere on earth, and even graduate degrees no longer guarantee prime positions. One old adage stills seems to hold true: “You can’t get a job without experience, but you won’t gain experience until you have a job.”
The right internship can lead to opportunities
An internship is a temporary position for the student or recent graduate with an emphasis on providing intentional learning objectives tied to the student’s career goals or field of study. A majority of internships take place in the summer but many are available throughout the year. Internship programs can be found at private corporations, government offices, and nonprofit organizations. They can be paid or unpaid positions and sometimes include academic credit for the student.
INTERNSHIP BENEFITSInternships are very important in a student’s career development. Through these assignments, students can:
- Determine if this is an appropriate career path.
- Find out how to prepare for a career in a specific field.
- Develop a network of professional contacts for future opportunities and references.
- Learn about the workplace skills they need to develop in order to build a strong resume.
- Find out what to expect when they transition into a full-time job.
US INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS
- Washington Internship Experience - Current & Visiting UM Students
- New York Summer Internship Experience
INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS
- Sydney Internship
- CAPA London Internship
- EUSA London Internship
- Hotel Internships
- UM-Dublin Summer Internship
- Scottish Parliament Internship
- South Africa Internship