The UM Summer Language Institutes are highly competitive programs. Prospective students are encouraged to use our early decision deadline to lock in a spot. Students must meet minimum requirements for early undergraduate admission to the University of Mississippi.
UM Admission Requirements
- Be at least 15 years old by first day of the program.
- Be in good academic and conduct standing in high school (includes public, private, parochial, or home-educated.)
- Meet one of two admissions options listed below:
- OPTION 1: 14 CPC (College Preparatory Curriculum) high school credits by the end of the current school year AND minimum 3.0 GPA
- OPTION 2: Minimum cumulative score of 30 on the ACT (or SAT equivalent) AND minimum 3.0 GPA
In addition, students will be asked to supply the following supporting documents:
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A personal essay
- Recommended: ACT or SAT scores
- Chinese only: A language sample (if applying to be placed in a course above beginner level)
Program Application Process
STEP ONE: Complete the Credit Programs Interest Form. We will confirm with you before you proceed to the next step.
STEP TWO: Complete the Undergraduate Admissions Application.
STEP THREE: Upload to our secure site or mail in the following official documentation and application materials:
- Official high school transcript
- Spring course schedule
- All ACT or SAT scores to date
- Personal Essay
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher or administrator. At least one should be from a language teacher.
- School approval form
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. Students will be notified of the committee’s decision and sent further instructions if selected to participate.
What Students are Saying
Former participants have shared their feedback with us. Take a look!
“The tutor-counselors were excellent, always eager to answer whatever questions or concerns I may have had. They were also brilliant tutors and encouraged me as I learned the language.”
“I enjoyed having a teacher that didn't underestimate us. He would tell us anything we needed to know! I found it refreshing and engaging”
“I was floored by how friendly everyone was. My instructor was so patient and positive with everyone in our class and the cultural events were really entertaining. My thanks to the University for being so generous with scholarships, too.”