Discover Engineering at UM
Dates: June 20-24. 2022
Grades: Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th grades
Cost: $670 Residential; $360 Commuter < What’s included in the cost?
Sponsoring departments: UM Office of Pre-College Programs and the UM School of Engineering
Designed for students who show a great interest in mathematics and science, Discover Engineering at UM offers hands-on problem-solving and creative opportunities for participants to discover the connection between engineering and their interests. Throughout the week, participants will be exposed to chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering with an emphasis on careers available in these fields. Each day will focus on a different challenge in engineering labs taught by faculty at the University of Mississippi School of Engineering.
Students enrolled in the 7th- 12th grades and attending public school in Lee, Pontotoc, or Union counties are eligible to apply for a CREATE scholarship. For more information and to apply, please review the description on our scholarship page.
Residential students will live in a residence hall on campus, supervised by live-in counselors. All counselors are undergraduate students trained in the supervision of minors and background-checked. Evening recreational activities may include use of the campus recreational center, board games, and trips to locations on campus or in town.
Registration for a camp or program is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
- Step 1: Use the link above to go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Select the appropriate options and click “Add Event to Cart.”
- Step 3: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 4: Enter the Student’s Information, Parent/Guardian, Emergency Contact, and additional information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
Submit Medical Form
The Office of Pre-College Programs requires all participating students to have medical paperwork and emergency contact information on file if a student is registered for an in-person program. This information is used in the event an accident or emergency occurs involving a student participant.
- Step 1: Complete our Medical Form.
- Step 2: The following documentation must also be sent to the Office of Pre-College Programs: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
- Copy of Insurance Card (front and back sides) or Waiver of Insurance Form (included in Medical Form)
- Copy of a Parent/Guardian’s Driver's License (front and back sides)
For security of the student and parent’s information, our office does not recommend emailing or faxing medical documents.
Submit COVID Compliance Form
In accordance with University of Mississippi guidelines and policy regarding COVID-19 health and safety for on-campus summer programs, all residential, commuter, or day camp students are required to have a custodial parent/legal guardian review and complete the online COVID-19 Compliance, Liability Waiver, and Assumption of the Risk Addendum Form with the appropriate student and parent information.
The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review and complete the online Agreement Form with the appropriate student and parent information.
Cancellations and Refunds
Registrations may be cancelled up to two weeks prior to the selected session to receive an 80% refund. Refunds are not available if cancellation occurs less than two weeks prior to the selected session. Full refunds will be issued if the camp is cancelled due to low enrollment.
For additional information, please contact: