THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI-TUPELO | 662-844-5622 | | Home | Ole Miss | Regionals

The University of Mississippi - Tupelo

Frequently Asked Questions by Prospective Students


Where is the University of Mississippi at Tupelo?

The University of Mississippi in Tupelo is located at 1918 Briar Ridge Road in the Advanced Education Center.

How many students are enrolled at the UM-Tupelo?

800+ students are enrolled at the University of Mississippi in Tupelo, including graduate students this Spring.

Where do UM-Tupelo students come from?

Everywhere! However, the greatest number of UM-Tupelo students generally come from NE Mississippi, NW Alabama, and parts of south Tennessee.

Is UM-Tupelo on the quarter system or the semester system?

The University of Mississippi in Tupelo observes the same semester system as the main campus in Oxford: two 16-week class sessions per academic year. Three summer sessions and three intersessions are also available. Full-time undergraduate status requires that students take at least 12 hours per semester. At the graduate level, full-time means taking at least 9 hours per semester.

Do I have to enroll full-time?

No. Students may enroll full-time or part-time in daytime or evening classes. Most evening classes meet one night a week. Students who wish to apply for scholarships should be aware that most academic scholarship awards require full-time status (12 credit hours or more for undergraduates).

Are there residential facilities (dorms) for UM-Tupelo students?

No; however, UM-Tupelo students may rent apartments in several conveniently located apartment complexes near the Advanced Education Center.

How much time outside of class is a student expected to spend studying?

Professors generally recommend that the student spend approximately two to three hours of outside study for one hour of class time. This is certainly dependent on the course and the individual student.

Will my diploma say the University of Mississippi on it?


Back to top.


All off-campus students must be admitted to The University of Mississippi before they will be allowed to register for courses.

Can I attend The University of Mississippi in Tupelo after graduating from high school?

No, not immediately after high school. You must complete the freshman and sophomore-level classes required for a bachelor's degree at a local community college since The University of Mississippi-Tupelo does not offer freshman or sophomore-level classes on its campus.

How do I apply to The University of Mississippi in Tupelo?

The first step is to complete an application for admission. MS students must also submit a nonrefundable $40 application ($60 for out-of-state students). New nonresident applications received without an application fee will NOT be processed. DO NOT SEND CASH. Make checks payable to The University of Mississippi or pay with debit/credit card online. Apply now!

Applications may be processed on-line or obtained by calling The University of Mississippi in Tupelo at 888.844.5622 or 662.844.5622.

Request official transcripts from each college or university attended (be sent to The University of Mississippi, Office of Admissions, P. O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677). If you are currently enrolled at another institution, follow up with a completed transcript showing final grades.

If your official ACT or SAT scores are not included on your transcript(s), send them to the Office of Admissions.

When should I apply for admission?

Undergraduate students are advised to submit the application for admission and supporting documents at least 20 days prior to the date of registration. However, applicants are advised to submit the application for admission well in advance of the period in which enrollment is sought. In fact, applications are accepted as early as one year prior to the desired enrollment.

Priority application deadlines for all graduate applicants (in the US) are: July 1 (Fall), November 1 (Spring), April 1 (First Summer Term), May 1 (Second Summer Term). Some programs may have earlier deadlines for application.

What are the admission requirements for transfer students?

Students may be accepted for transfer from other regionally accredited colleges and universities if they have earned an associate’s degree intended for transfer to a four-year school with a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA. In addition, students may be accepted from other regionally accredited colleges and universities if a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA has been maintained on all course work attempted with the exception of vocational/technical or other courses not acceptable for transfer. Every attempt on repeated courses is counted. Applicants must list all colleges attended on the application for admission. (Failure to provide information about prior college attendance is grounds for disciplinary action including immediate dismissal from the university.)

In addition the applicant must meet one of the following criteria:

1. Has been admissible as a freshman. The applicant must submit official high school records (see Freshman Admission) as well as college transcripts to meet this requirement.


2. Has successfully completed at least the following 30 semester hours of college work at a regionally accredited school with a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA:

6 semester hours of English Composition
3 Semester hours of College Algebra or higher level mathematics
6 semester hours of Laboratory Science
9 semester hours of Humanities and Fine Arts
6 semester hours of Social or Behavioral Sciences
30 core hours total

Evaluation of Credits

University policy on the transfer of credit hours is described in the Academic Regulations chapter of the Undergraduate Catalog under Transfer Credit.

Grade Requirements

Transfer students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 on courses taken at the university in order to graduate. See Degree Requirements in the Academic Regulations chapter of the Undergraduate Catalog for more information.

Transfer Student Website

The University of Mississippi has developed a website specifically for transfer students. This website serves as a resource for students wishing to transfer to the University of Mississippi, as well as those students who have already transferred from a community college or another four-year institution. Please visit this website by clicking here.

How long does it take to reach an admission decision?

The University admits students on a rolling basis as files become complete. After the Office of Admissions receives your application, an official transcript(s) (sent directly from your school(s) to the Office of Admissions), and your results from the ACT or SAT, a decision is mailed to you in most cases in about three weeks. Processing may be noticeably slower from mid-December through late January when University offices are closed for two weeks and the files of applicants for the Spring semester receive first priority.

What are the requirements for admission to graduate programs?

Typically, students applying to graduate programs should have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, a grade-point average of 2.75 on the last two years of undergraduate work, and a 3.0 on all graduate work already completed (on a 4.0 scale).

The decision to admit an applicant to pursue graduate study at The University of Mississippi is based upon evaluation of both qualitative and quantitative information. All applicants must provide a completed application form, a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and records of previous academic achievements. Some degree programs may require additional credentials.

Graduate applications will not be processed without appropriate test scores (i.e., GRE/GMAT/ Praxis/TOEFL). Students may not enroll in 600 level courses unless they are already admitted or currently enrolled in graduate school.

Are there additional admission requirements for international students?

Yes. International applicants may use the standard application and receive additional information later, or for faster processing, contact the Office of International Programs ( and request a special packet that includes complete information on requirements and the additional forms needed for admission of international students.

Are there any exceptions for admission?

A mature student who has been out of school for at least three years and cannot present an acceptable high school record may apply for admission as a special student. Special students will be admitted under full status after successfully completing at least 12 semester hours at UM with at least a 2.0 GPA. Important Note: Special students are not eligible to receive financial aid while they are classified as such.

If students apply for a certain semester and they don't attend that semester, do they have to reapply?


Can I just take a course for personal enrichment if I don't meet admission requirements?

Please contact the main office at The University of Mississippi in Tupelo at 662.844.5622 or 888.846.5622 to discuss this possibility.

Must I send a transcript from a college where I have only taken one class?


When will I be advised?

Upon admission to the University, you should contact the Academic Counselor at 662.844.5622 or 888.846.5622 or to set up an appointment time to be advised. Generally, all academic credits from an accredited college are transferable. However, all of your previously earned credits may not satisfy specific requirements for a particular major. The Academic Counselor can answer all questions related to transferability.

Which of my hours from another college will transfer to The University of Mississippi in Tupelo?

All academic hours earned at a regionally accredited institution are acceptable as transfer hours if they are not technical, vocational, or remedial. The academic advisor and/or department chair determines the applicability of hours toward a degree.

Can full-time military personnel transfer hours to UM-Tupelo?

The University of Mississippi offers credit for training and experience in the Armed Services to currently enrolled students. Those wishing to receive this credit must furnish the Office of Admissions with a DD214 (discharge papers), a DD295, or a Certificate of Achievement. The academic advisor and dean will determine applicable credit toward a degree.

Does The University of Mississippi in Tupelo have an orientation program?

Yes, UM-Tupelo has an orientation program. Orientation is a time for you, our incoming transfer and graduate students, to become better acquainted with the Tupelo facility and the University. We recognize that you have a college experience behind you and, thus, very specific concerns. Because UM-Tupelo is different from your previous setting, orientation is mandatory.

What happens during orientation?

During orientation students participate in individualized sessions that inform them of all facets of the University. You will have the opportunity to get your parking permit and student identification card; find out about computer and library resources; receive information about billing, deadlines, and campus policies and procedures; meet current students and other incoming students who share similar interests and concerns; and get answers to all of your questions about getting started at The University of Mississippi in Tupelo.

How do I sign up for orientation?

Information is sent to newly admitted students prior to the start of each semester.

Back to top.

Tuition and Financial Aid/Scholarships

How much are tuition and fees?

Click here to see a listing of current fees.

When do I have to pay for tuition and fees?

You will receive a bill as soon as you have registered for classes. Payment options will be included in that mailing from the Bursar.

What is the University's withdrawal/refund policy?

Students electing to drop and/or add classes, after having been officially enrolled, must come in and complete a DROP-ADD FORM indicating the change to be made. Deadline dates for withdrawals are listed in the academic calendar. Refunds are computed based on the time of official notification of withdrawal on the following schedule. A full refund will be granted if the class is cancelled.

Withdrawal Refund Due
Before first class meeting 100% of tuition*
Before second class meeting 60% of tuition
Before third class meeting 20% of tuition
After third class meeting None

*Minus a $25 administrative fee

Is financial aid available?

Yes. About 75% of students attending The University of Mississippi receive some form of financial assistance to offset the costs associated with attending college. Available assistance includes need-based and non-need-based scholarships, federal and state grants, low-interest loans, and federal work-study.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Applicants for need-based aid (US citizens or permanent residents only) should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to submit a completed FAFSA early in the spring (the recommended priority deadline is February 15). If applying for aid, you should also request a Financial Aid Transcript from all institutions previously attended, whether or not you received financial aid while enrolled.

How do I apply for University scholarships?

To learn how to apply for scholarships at The University of Mississippi in Tupelo, click here.

What about the Phi Theta Kappa scholarship?

Although UM-Tupelo students may be considered for this scholarship, it is awarded by Student Financial Aid on the Oxford campus. To learn more, click here.

Are there opportunities for on-campus jobs?

Yes. Check with the main office on the Tupelo campus to discuss employment opportunities.

Back to top.

Campus Resources and Facilities

What are the facilities like at The University of Mississippi in Tupelo?

From its humble beginnings in the early 70's, The University of Mississippi in Tupelo has grown to meet the ever-changing needs of its constituency. What began as a handful of courses offered in four rooms of a downtown office building has matured into more than 120 courses offered in a state-of-the-art facility—The Advanced Education Center. The Advanced Education Center is self-contained and features interactive videoconferencing facilities for distance learning and a networked computer lab.

What is the parking situation on campus like?

Handicapped parking is available. All students must register their vehicles and obtain parking permits. These may be purchased during Orientation.

Is there a library on campus?

A Learning Resource Center with internet access is operated by ICC. All UM students have full online access to the University's library system.

Are computers available for student use?


Is there a bookstore on campus?

Not at this time, but textbooks can be pre-ordered online in the weeks before the start of a new semester. Books that are pre-ordered will be available for pick-up at The University of Mississippi in Tupelo during the first week of classes.

What activities and organizations are available to students on the UM-Tupelo campus?

Organizations on campus include Phi Beta Lambda, the Association of Student Social Workers, Alpha Sigma Lambda, Teachers of Tomorrow, and Student Ambassadors.

Is there a cafeteria on campus?

No. Vending machines are located on the 3rd floor of the Advanced Education Center. Students must consume food and beverages prior to returning to classrooms. No food or beverages are allowed in classrooms. Smoking is not permitted inside the building.

Back to top.

Contact Information

What is the web address for UM-Tupelo?

The URL for The University of Mississippi in Tupelo is

Is there someone I can contact if I have more questions?

There certainly is! Please contact Angela Palmer at or Chris Tollison at or call 662-844-5622.

Back to top.

For Assistance

[Phone]: 662-844-5622
[Location]: The Advanced Education Center, 1918 Briar Ridge Road

Contact UM-Tupelo

The Advanced Education Center
1918 Briar Ridge Road
Tupelo, Mississippi 38804

Phone: (662) 844-5622
Fax: (662) 844-5625

Request Information »


Wondering if your academic course credit will transfer to Ole Miss? Read more »


UM-Tupelo utilizes a two-plus-two partnership…
Read More »


Follow us on Twitter for the latest weather updates.
Check Twitter »

Facebook Link Twitter LinkInstagram Link

Regional Transfer Guide

Get the 2017-2018 Regional Campuses Transfer Guide.

Get Guide

Orientation Dates

Mark your calendars for Fall 2017 Orientation in August.

Contact Us:

Phone: (662)844-5622
Toll Free: (888) 846-5622

UM-Tupelo Social

Want to be contacted?

Request Information »