Wintersession Application Deadline is
November 5, 2014!
How to Apply
- Washington, DC: Environmental Ethics
- San Francisco: Studio Art on Location
- Las Vegas: Resort Course
- New Orleans: Media Ethics
PHIL 328 (Honors)
Dr. Neil Manson, Associate Professor of Philosophy
January 6 – 18, 2014
Course Fee $1795 (resident)
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 1, 2013!
- Travel to Capitol Hill to meet with a member of the Doctors Caucus Attend a meeting at the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics
- Debate on the ethics of medical testing on animals, with PETA's expert on animal experimentation vs. a lobbying group supporting the use of animals as test subjects
- Lunch with libertarian science journalist Ron Bailey of Reason magazine
- Visit to the Center for American Progress
- Visit Gallaudet University, America's leading college for the deaf, to discuss the nature of disability
Students will spend one week on campus for lectures then travel to Washington, DC to continue learning about biomedical ethics. Shared accommodations will be provided at the Capitol Hill Hotel (or similar).
This course is for students of the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College only. There are no prerequisites. Pre-med, pre-law, philosophy, public policy leadership, biology, and political science majors may be interested.
The dates are January 6-18, 2014. Students will attend on-campus lectures during the first week. Then spend a week in Washington, DC talking with experts and visiting related groups and institutions.
Students will make their own arrangements to and from Washington, DC. Students will be responsible for local DC travel, but the University will provide any group travel outside of the area.
Program cost is $1795 for resident undergraduate students and $1995 for non-resident undergraduate students. Included in the cost are tuition, housing, one group dinner, site admission fees, and tour fees. Study USA application fee, airfare, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.
* Itinerary subject to change