Fall Application Deadline is
September 25, 2014!
How to Apply
- Las Vegas...more info coming soon
- New Orleans...more info coming soon
- Washington, DC...more info coming soon
Civil War to Civil Rights
Dr. Kathleen Wickham, Associate Professor of Journalism
May 16-20 (Oxford campus), May 21-28 (Washington, DC)
Undergraduate Course Fee $1995 (resident), $2195 (non-resident)
Graduate Course Fee $2495 (resident), $2695 (non-resident)
- Visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis and visit civil rights sites in Philadelphia and Greenwood, Mississippi
- Explore the Newseum, a museum that examines five centuries of news history and showcases cutting-edge media technology
- Visit print and broadcast journalism venues, including The McClatchy Co., the third largest newspaper company in the country
- Experience the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery, and visit the burial sites of Medgar Evers and John F. Kennedy
- Visit the African-American Civil War Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial
- Tour the Capitol, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress and the White House (tentative)
Students will have class on the Oxford campus and visit regional civil rights sites during the first week of class. Then students spend seven nights in Washington, DC. Shared hotel accommodations will be provided in DC at an area hotel to be determined.
This class is for Journalism, Political Science, African-American Studies, History, and Southern Studies students. Students must have access to a Flip Cam and a digital camera for documenting their experience.
The class will meet on the Oxford campus and tour regional sites from May 16-20. From May 21-28, the group will be in Washington, DC.
Students will make their own travel arrangements to and from Washington, DC. While in DC, student will be provided with a 7-day Fast Pass that will allow unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus access.
Program cost is $1995 for resident and $2195 for non-resident students. Included in the cost are tuition, housing, tours, museum admission, one group meal, and a Fast Pass transportation card. Excluded from the cost are the Study USA application fee, textbooks, airfare, airport transfers, and personal spending money.