Wintersession Application Deadline is
November 5, 2014!
How to Apply
- Washington, DC: Environmental Ethics
- San Francisco: Studio Art on Location
- Las Vegas: Resort Course
- New Orleans: Media Ethics
New York City
The Artist's Sketchbook
ART 310 or 510
Cory Lewis, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Art
January 4-16, 2010
Course Fee $1595
- Study the sketchbooks of artists Leonardo da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Henry Moore and Dan Eldon
- Create a personal sketchbook in studio before departure to New York
- Visit the art galleries of Chelsea
- Explore the extensive inventory at a New York art supply store
- Study still life paintings at The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Guggenhiem Museum
- Discover real world “still life” in food venues such as Chelsea Market and Fulton Fish Market
- Spend the morning on a private tour of the Museum of Modern Art
- Use drawing, collages, watercolor and photography to document your New York experience
- Create and present artwork from imagery and ideas captured in your sketchbook
Students will attend class on the Oxford campus from January 4th through 6th to study the sketchbooks of important artists and to create their own sketchbook for use during the course. Students will spend January 7th through 12th in New York. Students will return to Oxford on January 12th for a continued studio experience culminating in a final critique on January 16th.
This program is for Art majors and any other student interested in sketchbook development or the arts and food culture of New York City.
Students will attend class on the Oxford campus January 4-6 and will then spend 5 nights in New York City, from January 7-12. They will reconvene on the Oxford campus for additional studio instruction and a final critique from January 13-16. While in New York, the group will stay at a Manhattan hotel in shared accommodations.
Students will make their own travel arrangements to and from New York. Students will be provided with a Metrocard for unlimited subway and bus transportation during their stay.
Course fee is $1595. Included in the fee are tuition, housing, group ground transportation, museum and tour fees and two group dinners. The Study USA application fee, airfare, airport transportation, meals other than those listed above and personal spending money are excluded from the fee.