Application Deadline is
April 10, 2014!
- Asheville, NC: The Biltmore Estate
- Washington, DC: Civil War to Civil Rights
- Washington, DC: The Politics of Gay Rights
- Baltimore, MD/Washington D.C.: Biomedical Research
- Chicago: National Restaurant Association Show
- Clarksdale, MS: Carson Mounds Bioarchaeological Field School
- Gulf Coast: Geological Investigations of Coastal Environments
- New Mexico: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp II
How to Apply
and Okolona, Mississippi
Community Assessment for Health and Development
Dr. John J. Green, Director, Center for Population Studies
May 14-19, 2012
Course Fees: $100 plus tuition
- Learn frameworks, methods, and techniques for conducting community assessments to inform health and development initiatives
- Build and practice assessment skills through involvement in an applied research service-learning project
- Collaborate with leaders from several area nonprofit organizations
- Visit sites in Mound Bayou and Okolona, Mississippi, and explore the connections between community characteristics and health
Students will participate in a two-day workshop in Oxford, followed by two full-day field trips in Mississippi, one to the Delta region and one to northeastern part of the state.
This course is appropriate for sociology, anthropology, social work, history, political science, African American studies, Southern studies, public policy leadership, nutrition, and health promotion students.
Students will attend an on-campus workshop May 14-15. Site visits and service-learning component will take place May 16-17. Students will continue class on campus on May 18-19, with a final reflective paper due on May 25.
Group transportation will be provided between the University of Mississippi campus and the regional site visits of Mound Bayou and Okolona.
Program cost is standard tuition for 3 credits plus a course fee of $100. Included in the cost are tuition, lunch during site visits, and ground transportation. Study USA application fee, textbooks, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.
Where can I find more information?
For more information about specific programs or the application process, contact Laura Antonow, Program Director for Study USA at email@example.com or (662) 915 6511.