Fall Application Deadline is
September 15, 2014!
How to Apply
- Asheville, NC: The Biltmore Estate
- Washington, DC: Civil War to Civil Rights
- Washington, DC: The Politics of Gay Rights
- Baltimore, MD/Washington D.C.: Biomedical Research
- Chicago: National Restaurant Association Show
- Alaska: Studies in the Far North: Culture and Science in Alaska
- Mississippi Delta: Social Entrepreneurship in Mississippi
- Scottsdale, AZ: College and Professional Sports Dietitian Association’s Annual Conference
- Oklahoma: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp 1
- Gulf Coast: Geological Investigations of Coastal Environments
- New Mexico: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp II
Mound Bayou, Mississippi
The Legacy of African American Self-Help & Empowerment: Community Welfare in Mound Bayou, Mississippi
Dr. Susan C. Allen and Dr. Chris Simmons
May 15-23, 2012
Course Fees: $125 plus tuition
- Examine the concepts of self-help and empowerment in the African American community of Mound Bayou, Mississippi
- Explore historic and current issues related to health care, poverty, economic development, risk, and resilience
- Tour historic buildings in Mound Bayou
- Visit Mississippi Delta towns of Shelby and Winstonville
- Make a stop at Peter’s Pottery, four brothers who have come together to create unique wares
- Participate in service to the Taborian Hopsital Project and in collection of oral history of community members
Students will begin on the Oxford campus, and will then spend seven days in the Mound Bayou community residing at a community facility.
This course is for social work, history, political science, African American studies, Southern studies, nursing, sociology, and public policy leadership students.
Students will attend on-campus lectures May 15-16. Site visits and service-learning project component will take place May 17-23.
Students will make their own arrangements to and from Mound Bayou.
Program cost is standard tuition for 3 credits plus a course fee of $125. Included in the cost are tuition, housing, most meals, site admission fees and tour fees. Study USA application fee, transportation, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.
Where can I find more information?
For more information about specific programs or the application process, contact Laura Antonow, Program Director for Study USA at firstname.lastname@example.org or (662) 915 6511.