Study USA program gearing up for hands-on Wintersession courses in four exciting locales
- Travel to Boothbay, Maine and begin their 11-day course at the Bigelow Laboratory of Ocean Sciences.
- Learn about marine phytoplankton and marine microbial aquaculture.
- Learn and practice basic skills and techniques for isolating, culturing/growing, and maintaining marine microbial cultures.
- Work with and learn about the world-renowned microbial culture collection housed in the National Center for Marine Algae and Microbiota.
- Sample and isolate environmental microbes on a boat from the Bay of Maine.
- Visit other research labs, including the Mount Desert Island Lab, The Jackson Lab, and the Gulf of Maine Research Institute.
- Visit beautiful Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, ME.
Itinerary subject to change. Please verify specific dates with instructor and confirm that the course has adequate enrollment to make before making travel arrangements.
The dates are May 12-22, 2019. Students will need to be in Bar Harbor, ME by the afternoon of May 12th, and the class will conclude in the morning of May 22nd.
This course is open to all majors. Students seeking Biology credit should have completed BISC 160, 161, 162, and 163 before May Intersession and should register for BISC 380. There are no pre-requisites for non-biology majors, who should sign up for ENVS 399 if interested. Majors who may be particularly interested include Environmental Science, Biology, Premedical, Pharmacy, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Geoscience, and Ocean Sciences students.
The course fee is $975 plus tuition. Included in the course fee are accommodations, most breakfasts and lunches, group ground transportation, and site admission fees. Excluded from the course fee are the Study USA application fee, tuition, other meals not noted above, airport transportation, airfare, and personal spending money.
Students will make their own arrangements to and from Maine. The University will provide group ground transportation from Bar Harbor to Boothbay and the Bigelow Laboratory to various sites as required for the course. Students may want to fly into Portland, ME (PWM), Boston, MA (BOS), or Manchester, NH (MHT).