Wintersession Application Deadline is
November 5, 2014!
How to Apply
- Washington, DC: Environmental Ethics
- San Francisco: Studio Art on Location
- Las Vegas: Resort Course
- New Orleans: Media Ethics
Geologic Investigations of the Northern Gulf of Mexico Barrier Islands and Coastal Environments
GE 430/GEOL 530
Credit hours 4/3
Cathy A. Grace, Lecturer in Geology and Geological Engineering
July 28- August 10, 2013
Course Fees: $1895 Undergraduate, $2195 Graduate
- Visit four barrier islands in the northern Gulf of Mexico - Galveston Island, Ship Island, Santa Rosa Island, and St. George Island
- Investigate developed and undeveloped areas of each to determine the relative health of the island and evaluate natural and human impacts on the fragile coastal environments
- Revisit previously occupied sites to conduct a survey and make a topographical profiles of each area
- Collect samples for grain size analysis and mineralogic content of the island sediments
- Learn how to make predictions of overwash or breach in the event of a major storm event
Students will participate in a pre-departure orientation and trip follow-up will be held in Oxford. During the travel portion of the course, students will visit barrier islands off the coasts of Texas, Mississippi, and Florida.
This course is appropriate geology, geological engineering, environmental studies, biology, exercise science, and civil engineering students. Perquisites are introductory geology class or instructor’s permission.
Students will participate in a pre-departure orientation in Oxford on Sunday, July 28, followed by field exploration along the coast from July 29 -Aug. 7.
Group transportation will be provided between the University of Mississippi campus and various coastal sites.
Program cost is TBD. Included in the cost are tuition, accommodations, ground transportation, and select meals. Study USA application fee, textbooks, meals, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.
*Please verify specific dates with instructor before making travel arrangements