Application Deadline is
April 10, 2014!
- Asheville, NC: The Biltmore Estate
- Washington, DC: Civil War to Civil Rights
- Washington, DC: The Politics of Gay Rights
- Baltimore, MD/Washington D.C.: Biomedical Research
- Chicago: National Restaurant Association Show
- Clarksdale, MS: Carson Mounds Bioarchaeological Field School
- Gulf Coast: Geological Investigations of Coastal Environments
- New Mexico: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp II
How to Apply
Geologic Investigations of the Northern Gulf of Mexico Barrier Islands and Coastal Environments
Cathy A. Grace, Instructor in Geology and Geological Engineering
July 29-August 11, 2012
Course Fees: Undergraduate $1895 (resident), $1995 (non-resident)
- Visit four barrier islands in the northern Gulf of Mexico - Galveston Island, Ship Island, Santa Rosa Island, and St. George Island
- Investigate developed and undeveloped areas of each to determine the relative health of the island and evaluate natural and human impacts on the fragile coastal environments
- Survey the topographical profiles of each area, including grain size analysis and mineralogic content of the island sediments
- Learn how to make predictions of overwash or breach in the event of a major storm event
Students will participate in a pre-departure orientation and trip follow-up will be held in Oxford. During the travel portion of the course, students will visit barrier islands off the coasts of Texas, Mississippi, and Florida.
This course is appropriate geology, geological engineering, environmental studies, biology, exercise science, and civil engineering students.
Students will participate in a pre-departure orientation in Oxford, followed by field exploration along the coast from July 30-August 7. The final two days of the week will be spent in Oxford from August 8-11.
Group transportation will be provided between the University of Mississippi campus and various coastal sites.
Program cost is $1895 for resident and $1995 for non-resident undergraduate students. Included in the cost are tuition, accommodations, ground transportation, and a farewell dinner. Study USA application fee, textbooks, meals, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.