Application Deadline is
April 10, 2014!
- Asheville, NC: The Biltmore Estate
- Washington, DC: Civil War to Civil Rights
- Washington, DC: The Politics of Gay Rights
- Baltimore, MD/Washington D.C.: Biomedical Research
- Chicago: National Restaurant Association Show
- Clarksdale, MS: Carson Mounds Bioarchaeological Field School
- Gulf Coast: Geological Investigations of Coastal Environments
- New Mexico: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp II
How to Apply
Studies in the Far North: Culture and Science in Alaska
Credit hours: 3
Dr. Stacey Britton, Assistant Professor of Secondary Education
June 24-July 5, 2013
Course Fees: $2595
- Explore Anchorage for an introduction to Alaskan culture and indigenous groups
- Visit “the farthest North American city” Barrow to experience the culture and knowledge of Inupiat Eskimo
- Tour coastal Seward which highlights the value of conservations, ecotourism, and the fishing industry
- Visit museums and heritage centers to learn more about Alaskan cultures
- Nature experiences will be included with discussions about Alaskan biodiversity and subsistence lifestyles
- Work with locals (children-seniors) in service projects
- Optional excursions (not included in course cost) may include: glacier hikes, halibut fishing, glacier fly-by, ferry day-trips
Students will travel to Alaska and visit Anchorage, Seward, Homer and Barrow learning about Alaskan culture.
This course is appropriate history, education, science, environmental studies, business, recreation, hospitality management, social work, and sociology students. Graduate students are encouraged to apply. A background check is required for all participants.
Students will arrive in Anchorage, Alaska on June 23. Participants will visit Barrow, Seward, and Homer with the course ending July 4 (departure early morning 7/5).
Students will make their own travel arrangements to and from Anchorage and will travel via van to the various sites.
Program cost is $2595. Included in the cost are tuition, accommodations, ground transportation, in-state air travel, and select meals. Study USA application fee, travel to Alaska, textbooks, meals, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.
*Please verify specific dates with instructor before making travel arrangements