Summer Application Deadline is
April 6, 2015!
How to Apply
- Arizona: Ecology and Evolution of Sky Island Biodiversity
- Baltimore and Washington, DC: Biomedical Research
- Biloxi, Mississippi: Mississippi's Katrina Stories - 10 Years Later
- Chicago: National Restaurant Association Show
- New York: Magazine Making
- Point Clear, Alabama: College and Professional Sports Dietitian Association’s Annual Conference
- Washington, DC: The Politics of Money
- Oklahoma: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp 1 - Section 1
- Oklahoma: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp 1 - Section 2
- Virginia: Archaeology Field School
- Chicago: Studio Art on Location
- Gulf Coast: Geological Investigations of Coastal Environments
- Ohio and Mississippi: Freedom Summer – 50 Years Later
- Santa Fe: Geological Engineering Design Field Camp 2
Studies in the Far North: Culture and Science in Alaska
Dr. Stacey Britton, Assistant Professor of Secondary Education
July 29-August 11, 2012
Course Fees: TBD
- Explore Anchorage for an introduction to Alaskan culture and indigenous groups
- Visit the far northern village of Barrow to experience the culture and knowledge of Inupiat Eskimo
- Tour coastal Seward which highlights the value of conservations, ecotourism, and the fishing industry
- Take a glacier day cruise and see the shift in topography and wildlife
- Participate in a service-learning project focusing on science and culture
Students will participate in a pre-departure orientation and trip follow-up will be held in Oxford. During the travel portion of the course, students will visit barrier islands off the coasts of Texas, Mississippi, and Florida.
This course is appropriate history, education, science, environmental studies, business, recreation, hospitality management, social work, and sociology students.
Students will arrive in Anchorage, Alaska on July 29. They will visit Barrow and Seward, and will depart from Anchorage on August 10.
Students will make their own travel arrangements to and from Anchorage and will travel via van to the various sites.
Program cost is TBD. Included in the cost are tuition, accommodations, ground transportation, and a farewell dinner. Study USA application fee, textbooks, meals, and personal spending money are excluded from the course fee.