The University of Mississippi - Study Abroad
Study Abroad Facebook Page
Study Abroad Facebook Page
Study Abroad Facebook Page

Links for Travel & Study Abroad


•  Study Abroad Student Handbook

•  Passports

•  Visas

•  Cell Phones

•  Groups with Special Needs/Interests

•  Health & Safety

•  Money Matters

•  Accommodations

•  Guides

•  Study Abroad Search Engines

» Study Abroad Student Handbook


It's important that every student who studies abroad is familiar with the Study Abroad Office Student Handbook. You will receive a printed copy of the handbook at your on-campus orientation. If at anytime before or after your orientation you would like to reference the handbook, you can download the handbook here.

» Passports


To travel abroad to other countries you will need a passport. You can apply for a new passport at most post offices. Your passport must be valid 6 months from your expected date of return. Allow 6-10 weeks for processing. You will need the following to apply for a new passport:

  • DS-11 Application for a passport (only if you have never applied for a passport) - Click here for more information.
  • Proof of Citizenship (a certified birth certificate with a raised seal or a previous passport)
  • Proof of Identity (previous passport, driver's license or government ID)
  • Two identical 2" x 2" passport photos taken within six months
  • $97 fee (see passport form for payment options)

Renewing Your Passport

If you already have a passport and that passport is your most recent one, it was issued within the past 15 years, and you were over age 16 when it was issued, you may renew your passport by mail.

To do this:

  • Download form "DSP-82: Application For Passport By Mail"
  • Fill it out, sign and date it and attach:
    • Your most recent passport
    • Two identical 2" x 2" passport photos taken within six months
    • $67 fee (see passport form for payment options

If you need your passport in a hurry, you can get an expedited passport. To do this you must either be leaving in less than 14 days, or, if you require foreign visas, in 2-3 weeks. This will cost you an extra $60 plus overnight delivery costs and you must show proof of your upcoming departure, such as plane tickets. For more information, visit the U.S. government passport site.

American Passport Express is a non-governmental organization that helps secure US passports in a rush.

» Visas


A visa is a sticker, stamp or piece of paper attached to your passport that allows you to travel to a country for a certain period of time for specific purposes (e.g., tourism, business, studies). For most countries you will need a visa if you will be staying more than 90 days. However, you should confirm this with your program provider or the nearest embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting. Also, Travisa offers extensive information about the visa requirements for each country and expedited visa service (which should only be necessary if you have to leave on short notice).

» Cell Phones


Many students like to stay in touch with home while abroad through the use of cell phones. Some U.S. cell phone companies provide international service to their domestic customers. Contact your service provider for specific information. There are also some Study Abroad Programs that provide cell phones to all students enrolled in their programs. Check with your program provider to see if this applies to your program.

For everyone else, the Study Abroad Office has recently collaborated with Piccell Wireless to provide students and faculty with cellular phones and reduced rates while abroad in certain countries. Below find the custom links for Ole Miss students and faculty. Sign up online and receive reduced rental fees, monthly billing, and affordable rates.

Student Link:
Faculty Link:

Any questions? E-mail

» Groups with Special Needs/Interests


Students with disabilities who wish to study abroad should inform the study abroad office of their need for accommodations as early as possible. Mobility International is a good resource on travel and study abroad programs for persons with disabilities.

Lesbian, gay and bisexual students should see the NAFSA Lesbigay Special Interest Group for resources that will be useful to them as they study abroad.

» Health & Safety


The Study Abroad Office enrolls students in a comprehensive international health insurance policy through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  This is a requirement and currently costs $250 per semester (less for short-term programs).  Although some students may be doubly-covered by insurance in countries that require students to enroll in country-wide insurance (such as France, Germany, Japan, Australia, etc.), please note that this health insurance requirement cannot be waived.

Students can access their insurance card, insurance policy, confirmation of coverage, and other resources from the CISI website.

Click here to download a copy of the UM Insurance Policy for students studying abroad.

Before traveling and while abroad, check the following sites for health and security updates:

U.S. Department of State -
Center for Disease Control -
Information on vaccinations and health precautions, visas and entry requirements, crime and country maps -

Consular information sheets and public announcements -
Tips for students -

Health and Safety Abroad Videos -

» Money Matters


Students traveling abroad should be careful not to carry too much hard currency on their person. Diversifying your cash flow among currency, travelers' checks, and credit/ATM cards is the best way to protect yourself. Remember also to keep copies of your credit cards and emergency numbers in a safe place so that you can cancel the cards if they are lost or stolen. Some other sites to check regarding money while traveling include:

Oanda currency converter -
Mastercard/Cirrus ATM locator -
Visa/Plus ATM locator -
Bank holidays to watch out for -

» Accommodations


Student budgets for housing while abroad vary. For some ideas, check out the following links:

A list of youth hostels and pricing from around the world -
Online reservation service for student travelers -
Hostel descriptions and reservation service -
Online hotel reservations worldwide -

» Guides


Finding the perfect guidebook can help you navigate through some sticky situations while abroad. Here are a few recommendations:

The U.S. State Department - Background Notes on Different Countries
Lonely Planet - online travel guidebook -
Rough Guides - online travel guidebook -
Time Out - online city guidebook -

European Information Portal -

» Study Abroad Search Engines


For information about other study abroad programs try: – Compilation of study abroad programs and information

Study – Compilation of study abroad programs and information


The University of Mississippi Study Aboard Office maintains this site as a resource for administrators, educators and students. This site is continually under development. We try to keep the information timely and accurate and will make every effort to correct errors brought to our attention.

Please note that we do not control nor are we responsible for the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any documents containing links to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. The inclusion of links to particular items is not intended to reflect their importance nor to endorse any views expressed or products or services offered by the author, the referenced material, or the organization operating the linked site.