Student Teaching Abroad
Student Teaching Fellows for placement at various locations in Spring 2014 will be selected based on GPA, essay, recommendations from Teacher Education faculty members, and interview.
The Island Academy, San Pedro, Belize (elementary only)
Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, UK(secondary and elementary)
National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Ireland (secondary and elementary)
No disposition infractions or letters of concern in permanent folder
No additional documentation of academic, personal, or ethical misconduct according to the Mississippi Educator Code of Conduct
Submit the Department of Teacher Education Application Package to Dr. Debby Chessin, 301 Guyton Hall. As this is a competitive process (based GPA, Essay, Ratings Forms), a limited number of students will be selected for an interview and then to submit a Study Abroad Application.
Step 1: Department of Teacher Education Application
To complete your application, you will need to submit the following to Dr. Debby Chessin:
- Copy of unofficial transcript
- Application form to the Department of Teacher Education
- Completed Ratings Forms from two faculty members in Teacher Education in a sealed envelope with the faculty member's signature across the seal
- Short essay: "Why I Want to Student Teach Abroad" - 250 words
- Deadline: September 21, 2013
Eligible candidates will be invited for an interview.
Step 2: Study Abroad Application
Qualified students will be notified. If selected, the next step is to complete the Study Abroad Faculty-Led Application. Please disregard the due date on the Study Abroad Application as the deadline to submit the Study Abroad Faculty-Led Application is OCTOBER 7, 2013.
- Make an appointment with Skip Langley in the Study Abroad Office by calling 662-915-1508 to discuss the study abroad application process, visa application process, and application to cooperative university
- Print and complete the Study Abroad Application - disregard the due date as the deadline for Student Teaching Abroad is October 7, 2013
Please note that you must have a passport to apply to student teach abroad by October 15, 2013. If you already have a passport, please be sure that your passport doesn't expire within 6 months of your return to the US. To apply for a passport, visit the Department of State Travel Website.
Contact Dr. Debby Chessin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Information Sessions will be announced.