Interested in improving your college application portfolio? Thinking about how to represent your personal accomplishments and professional goals in an essay? Wondering what university committee members and administrators look for in effective scholarship application essays? In this week-long summer workshop, you will talk with University of Mississippi faculty, staff, and administrators about personal writing in academic contexts. You will also receive training in how to craft personal essays that may be used in a variety of academic contexts, from scholarship application letters to college application essays.
Throughout the week, you will work with your instructor to write and workshop a draft of your personal statement. You will review examples of effective personal statements, speak with undergraduates who have written successful application essays, and receive feedback from experts who have evaluated personal writing for academic purposes.
Sponsoring Department: UM Writing Center
Financial Aid: McCullough-Greer Fund Scholarships
The McCullouch-Greer Fund to Advance Writing as a Civic Responsibility scholarship is available to students registering for the 2020 Writing for College Success workshop.
- Must be participating in Writing for College Success.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
Camp Type: Online, non-credit
Seats Available: 24 max
- Be in good academic and conduct standing at the time of admission. The school can be public, private, parochial, or even home educated.
- Complete the online application.
- Bandwidth that can accommodate streaming video
- Access to a tablet or laptop for 2-3 hours per day
#CollegeReadiness #PublicSpeaking #Communication #TimeManagement
|Day of the Week||Morning Activities
8:00am – 12:00pm
1:00pm – 4:30pm
Daily Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM-4:30 PM; Friday, 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Move-in for residential students will be the Sunday prior to the camp’s beginning. Details will be sent by email two weeks beforehand.
Lunch will be provided at Rebel Market for all students.
Residential students will live in the Residential College South, supervised by live-in counselors. All counselors are undergraduate students trained in the supervision of minors and background-checked. Evening recreational activities may include use of the campus recreational center, board games, and trips to locations on campus or in town.
Dr. Rachel Johnson
Registration for a camp or program is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
- Step 1: Go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Select the appropriate options and click “Add Event to Cart.”
- Step 3: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 4: Enter the Student’s Information, Parent/Guardian, Emergency Contact, and additional information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
- We value the safety and well-being of all our participating students in online environments. All students must complete this agreement to indicate their consent to participation that includes the use of online applications and web resources.
- Step 1: Download and complete the Waiver (PDF link at top of page) with the appropriate student and parent information.
- Step 2: Send the form to our office at: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848. You may also email it to email@example.com
- The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review these guidelines and rules and discuss with your student(s) before the first day of the program. The Agreement Form is available at the top of the page.
For additional information, please contact: