Writing for College Success
Dates: July 15-20, 2018
Grades: Rising 9th through 12th grade
Cost: $700 Residential / $400 Commuters What's included in the cost?
Registrations Due: June 29, 2018
Interested in improving your college application portfolio? Thinking about how to represent your personal accomplishments and professional goals in an essay? Wondering what university committee members and administrators look for in effective scholarship application essays? In this week-long summer workshop, you will talk with University of Mississippi faculty, staff, and administrators about personal writing in academic contexts. You will also receive training in how to craft personal essays that may be used in a variety of academic contexts, from scholarship application letters to college application essays.
Throughout the week, you will work with trained consultants to write and workshop a draft of your personal statement. You will review examples of effective personal statements, speak with undergraduates who have written successful application essays, and receive feedback from experts who have evaluated personal writing for academic purposes.
— Brad Campbell, Director of the Writing Center
Sponsor Department: UM Writing Center and Office of Pre-College Programs
Financial Aid: Special need-based scholarships are available. Funding provided by the McCullouch Greer Fund to Advance Writing as a Civic Responsibility.
Camp Type: 1 Week Residential or Commuter, non-credit
Seats Available: 24 max
- Be in good academic and conduct standing at the time of admission. The school can be public, private, parochial, or even home educated.
- Complete the online application.
|Day of the Week
(Summer 2018 TBD)
8:00am – 12:00pm
1:00pm – 4:30pm
Registration for a camp or program is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
- Register Online
- Step 1: Go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Click “Add Camp to Cart.”
- Step 3: Enter the Student’s Information and click “Continue.”
- Step 4: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 5: Enter the Parent/Guardian and Emergency Contact Information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
- Submit Medical Form
- We value the safety and well-being of all our participating students. In the case emergency or medical attention is required, ALL camps and programs require parents to submit medical forms on behalf of the student. Please DO NOT forget to return this form to our office as this will hold up the registration process for your student. If you have already submitted the medical form for a camp this summer, you will not have to submit it again. We do not retain medical documentation from previous summers.
- Step 1: Download and complete the Summer Medical Form (at top of page) with the appropriate student and parent information.
- Step 2: Attach a copy of:
- Student’s insurance card,
- Parent’s driver’s license
- Shot records with the last Tetanus Immunization or Booster Shot, and
- Any other medical documents needed to seek treatment
- Step 3: Send the form and attachments to our office at: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
- For the security of you and your student’s information, please do not email or fax medical forms to our office. We request that you mail or bring the forms to our office.
- Submit Agreement
- The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review these guidelines and rules and discuss with your student(s) before the first day of the program. The Agreement Form is available at the top of the page.
For additional information, please contact: