AP Summer Institute
The University of Mississippi Advanced Placement Summer Institute
Training for High School Teachers
July 20-23, 2020
AP® Summer Institutes provide teachers with an overview of the curriculum structure and content of specific AP® courses. Attention is devoted to the development of AP® curriculum, teaching strategies, and the relationship of the course to the AP® Exam. The Institutes provide tremendous curriculum staff development opportunities for both new and experienced AP® teachers. Through this training, the AP® teacher will receive content, skills, and strategies to connect students to college success.
Instructors are experienced Advanced Placement teachers whom the College Board has certified to teach AP® Institute courses and have demonstrated their ability to help other teachers prepare to teach Advanced Placement classes.
NEW LOCATION: The Advanced Placement Summer Institute will be held at the Jackson Avenue Center located at 1111 W. Jackson Avenue, Oxford, MS 38655.
- Learn AP Curriculum content and teaching methods
- Learn structure, content, and grading of the AP Exams
- Share best practices
July 20-23, 2020 (4 days only)
- Calculus AB
- US History
- English Literature & Composition
- English Language & Composition
- Government and Politics: US
ALL of our offered courses are tailored for both new and experienced teachers in a combined class. Classes are limited to 30 individuals per subject, no exceptions will be made.
Each year, the College Board awards scholarships for qualifying teachers to attend an AP Summer Institute (APSI). For more information and application materials, click here. Deadline to apply is February 11, 2020. Online submissions only.
- Individuals completing the thirty hours will receive a certificate for completing a College Board-endorsed Advanced Placement Institute.
- Teachers attending 100% may receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs). 30 instructional hours = 3.0 CEUs. There is an additional charge of $20 for CEUs, payable at the APSI.
- Please note that we do not give graduate credit for our Institute.
- In a directive from the College Board, participants who miss more than 10% of an AP® Summer Institute will not receive a certificate of completion.
Session Schedule (4 days only)
Monday, July 20
7:45 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. Registration check-in (Inn at Ole Miss on the campus of the University of Mississippi)
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Classes meet at this time and any other time designated by the instructor (1½ hours for breaks and daily lunch).
Tuesday - Thursday, July 21-23
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Classes meet at this time and any other time designated by the instructor (1½ hours for breaks and daily lunch).
- We allot the last 30 minutes for completion of evaluations and distribution of certificates and CEUs.
- The College Board will email each teacher in attendance a survey and it must be completed within 3 days of the completion of the APSI.
* We allot the last 30 minutes for completion of evaluations and distribution of certificates and CEUs.
Online Registration – NEW!
- In order to register, you will need your College Board User ID and Password. If you do not have a College Board account, create one on the College Board website, https://account.collegeboard.org/
- Courses will be filled on a first received basis. Maximum enrollment for courses is 30 participants. Registrations will be accepted until the maximum enrollment is reached.
- A $80 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of registration or a copy of the school district’s Purchase Order or a check for the entire course fee.
- An additional fee of $25 is added to the registration fee if your registration is late (received after June 15, 2020). Full payment or the school/school district’s purchase order must accompany all applications after June 15, 2020. Late registrants may or may not receive their College Board packet during the Institute; however, packets will be ordered as soon as possible.
- Image Release: The University of Mississippi may photograph or videotape classes. Your registration authorizes the University of Mississippi to use your image in its official publications.
- Teacher Tip: We urge all registrants to ensure that your school/school district includes your Order/Registration Confirmation Number on the Purchase Order.
You should receive a “Confirmation Notice” in your inbox once your registration is FULLY SUBMITTED to our office. If you do not receive this notice, that means that your registration is not complete. You will need to resubmit your registration in order to secure your seat in the class. Please make sure that you are fully aware of this step because seats are filled on “first-come, first-served” basis
$600 per person (add $25, if you register after June 15, 2020,)
A non-refundable deposit of $80 is required at the time you register with your registration form. The balance of the fee is due by June 15, 2020,,
Payment may be made online using VISA or MASTERCARD. Checks, money orders or purchase orders must be mailed to the University of Mississippi, Division of Outreach and Continuing Studies, Attn: Office of Professional Development (APSI), Post Office Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
Housing is available on the campus of the University of Mississippi at the Inn at Ole Miss. A block of rooms have been reserved for the AP Summer Institute attendees. Housing fees are not included in the registration fee. You or your school district will be responsible for making your hotel overnight reservations. To make these reservations, contact the Inn at Ole Miss directly by calling 1.888 4 UM ROOM (1-888-486-7666). Deadline to make housing reservations is June 15, 2020.
All participants driving a car to campus will need a parking permit to park at the Jackson Avenue Center. These permits allow you to park in legal parking spots on campus. Upon check-in at the institute, you will be given a parking pass for the week. If you are a guest at the Inn at the Ole Miss, will receive a parking pass upon check-in but that parking pass is only valid for the Inn at Ole Miss and NOT at the Jackson Avenue Center.
We reserve the right to cancel courses with insufficient enrollment. Courses with insufficient enrollment will be cancelled on or about June 19, 2020. Participants in cancelled courses will receive a full refund. All participants and schools will be notified by email if the course is cancelled. It is our policy to reimburse the individual or school who initially paid the registration fee.
NO TRAVEL OR PERSONAL EXPENSES WILL BE REIMBURSED.
- Cancellations must be made in WRITING by email, fax or US mail.
- Cancellations received AFTER JUNE 15, 2020, forfeit full payment.
- School districts may substitute a paid participant with another teacher in the same course.
- All refunds will be processed within two weeks after notification, and refunds can be expected within three weeks.
- Participants in courses cancelled by us will receive a full refund. NO TRAVEL or PERSONAL expenses will be reimbursed.
Future Proposed Dates:July 19-22, 2021
July 18-21, 2022
July 17-20, 2023
Griffin Stroupe, Coordinator of Outreach Programs
1111 W. Jackson Avenue Center, Suite L
P.O. Box 1848
The University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677
Phone: (662) 915-3121
Fax: (662) 915-5138