What is JumpStart?
JumpStart is an opportunity for incoming UM freshmen to come to the Ole Miss campus early, begin earning college credit and familiarizing themselves with the services offered to University students.
JumpStart students get a "jumpstart" in their University studies, meet faculty, and most importantly, make new friends and connect to Ole Miss before the rest of the freshman class arrives on campus for the Fall 2015 semester. The program includes activities and experiences that encourage students to interact with one another while learning to manage the independence of college life.
During the term of the program, students will:
- Earn six credit hours that fulfill the University’s general education requirements and lighten their course load for the fall semester.
- Automatically receive up to a three credit hour tuition scholarship.
- Be a member of a living-learning community with academic and social support by faculty, staff, and peers.
- Become a University student with the tools and support needed to succeed when the fall semester begins.
- Learn how to study and manage time by attending the study hall or tutoring sessions.
- Participate in fun and informative programs outside of class.
- Network and develop lasting, life-long friendships and relationships
- Participate in small, informal classes designed specifically for JumpStart.
- Live in a residence hall with other UM JumpStart and current UM students.
- Challenge themselves and build leadership and team-building skills.
There are three available sessions for JumpStart.
- First Session: May 26 – June 24
- Second Session: June 28 – July 28
- AugustPLUS: August 2 - August 21
- JumpStart students receive a half-tuition scholarship per session. That’s over $800 in savings!
- Students get the support they need to transition into college life before it actually begins.
- JumpStart students are surrounded by other JumpStart students and mentored by specially trained JumpStart counselors.
- Students learn how to study for college-level courses and manage their time.
- Experience college life before the semester begins in the fall.
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Get a “jumpstart” on freshman year and lighten your fall course load.
- Take classes while having fun!
Any student is eligible to participate in JumpStart, if they:
- have been admitted to the University as a freshman for the Fall 2015 semester,
- have participated in a freshman orientation session prior to JumpStart, AND
- want to get a “jumpstart” on their Fall and Spring semesters, OR
- need to take a basic-level course or prerequisite before beginning a multiple course sequence (i.e., developmental studies (DS) course, college algebra, etc.)