[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to view the answer.

If you have questions that are not answered here, please feel free to send them in an e-mail to UMHS@olemiss.edu, and we'll respond as quickly as possible.



Enrolling in a UMHS course is very easy. Begin by checking the course listings. If you don't know what course you wish to take, please begin your selection process by talking with an academic advisor about your educational goals. Once you have selected the course, or courses, that meet your needs, you may use any one of four convenient ways to enroll in a University of Mississippi High School course. Click here to find out more!

Students younger than 18 who are residents of a school district in the United States may enroll in our diploma program if they supply the following information to our academic advisor:

  • An official transcript of all previously completed high school course work beginning with grade nine; and the name, title, address, and telephone number of a person qualified to supervise course work.
  • Parents/legal guardians must ensure that their child (children) complies with their state's compulsory attendance laws.

Students living outside the United States may enroll in our diploma program if they provide our academic advisor with an official transcript of all previously completed high school course work beginning with grade nine and the name, title, address, and telephone number of a person qualified to supervise course work. An English translation must accompany a non-English transcript.

Students 18 and older may enroll in our diploma program if they provide the following information to our academic advisor:

  • Official transcripts of previous high school courses and/or scores from the General Educational Development Test (GED); and
  • The name, title, address, and telephone number of a person qualified to supervise course work.

All students who enroll as UMHS diploma students after January 1, 2017 must earn a minimum of 24.25 Carnegie units before they will be granted a high school diploma from the University of Mississippi High School. Graduation requirements are based on state and regional accreditation requirements. Please contact the UMHS Office for specific requirements.

Yes, you may. However, students receiving a diploma from University of Mississippi High School must successfully complete 6.25 Carnegie units through our program, regardless of the number of credits accepted for transfer from other schools.

Students who enrolled prior to January 1, 2017 must complete 5.75 Carnegie units with UMHS.

Students who are enrolled in 2 1/2 Carnegie units or more per semester are considered to be full-time students.

Yes, academic credits earned at other schools may be transferred into our school. All credit issued by accredited secondary schools as high school credit is accepted toward meeting University of Mississippi High School graduation requirements.

An accredited school is one that has state accreditation from the state in which it is located and/or regional or national accreditation. The accredited school must be able to provide an official high school transcript. Our UMHS adviser reviews each transcript as it arrives at the high school to be sure it meets our transfer requirements. It would be appropriate for transferring schools to provide a cover memo with the official transcript, identifying the accrediting agency from which they received their accreditation.

Students transferring credits from foreign or non-accredited domestic high schools must provide a transcript.

Academic credits may be validated in mathematics, social studies, English, and science.

High school students who have been home-schooled follow the same procedure as students from non-accredited domestic schools. Their transcripts of record must include a listing of the subjects taken at each grade level. Each subject should be accompanied by a listing of the major textbook (title and publisher) used in the course.

A University of Mississippi High School course enrollment covers a period of one year from the date the enrollment is processed by UMHS. Supervisors are notified by mail approximately 30 days before a student's enrollment expires.

Yes, students may extend their enrollment in a course for an additional six months by submitting a written request and a $100 extension fee within 30 days after the course expiration date. The extension will be calculated from the actual expiration date of the original enrollment.

All tests taken by University of Mississippi students must be proctored at an approved testing site. The information below is provided to assist you in locating a suitable proctor.

Students Located in Lafayette County, MS

Students who reside in Lafayette County must utilize the Distance Education Testing Lab (DETL) in Kinard Hall. Students will be emailed instructions about how to schedule their tests online through RegisterBlast.com.

Because of the number of students taking tests at the DETL, it is important that students report promptly at the appointed hour.

Distance Education Testing Lab Policy:

  • Seating for tests begins at scheduled times. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your schedule appointment. If you are late, you must reschedule your appointment.
  • You must provide a picture ID to be allowed to enter the testing lab.
  • Personal items are not allowed in the testing carrels (phones, books bags, hats, jackets, beverages, wallets, keys, etc.).
  • Only approved items are allowed in the testing carrels. DETL staff will show you where to store all your belongings.
  • If you have a cell phone, make sure it is turned off prior to storing it in a secure locker.
  • If you fail to comply with the testing lab policy you will not be permitted in the testing lab.

If you have questions about parking, please email detl@olemiss.edu or call 662.915.1267.

If a student has a disability that qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities Act and requires accommodations, then we will work with that student to procure an accessible testing location.

Please note: All testing centers will be closed on holidays in accordance with The University of Mississippi holiday schedule. The DETL will be closed to UMHS students during UM midterm and final exams.

Students outside of Lafayette County, MS

Local supervisors/proctors are responsible for maintaining test security, establishing testing conditions, proctoring tests, and submitting completed test authenticity forms to UMHS when necessary.

The most acceptable choice for a supervisor or proctor is a person currently employed at any level as an educator (elementary, secondary, or post secondary). The person could be a teacher, counselor, administrator, or extension educator. Other acceptable choices include head librarians or local clergy. Military families may use base education officers, chaplains, and superior commissioned officers. Families living overseas may use embassy or consulate officials or other approved non family members. For more information on selecting a supervisor, contact us at (662) 915-1296.

University of Mississippi High School administration must approve proctors. For students transferring credit back to a school, local school official also must approve the proctor.

For more specific information, please contact the UMHS office at 662.915.1296 or email at UMHS@olemiss.edu.

A refund is allowed if no more than one month has elapsed since enrollment. The date of enrollment is the date the course fee payment is processed in the Office of University of Mississippi High School. The amount of this refund is 80 percent of the enrollment fee submitted. Refunds are made only under the conditions previously stated and with the understanding that the student will pay the full amount of the fee if the student should ever again enroll in a UMHS independent study course.

To qualify for a refund, print-based course materials must be unused by the student and in good condition. They must be determined to be acceptable for future use by the representatives of the University of Mississippi High School.

Return all course materials to University of Mississippi High School, P. O. Box 1848, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677.

NOTE: Materials shipped to UMHS that do not meet refund requirements will not be returned to the sender.

For additional information on the refund policy, please contact the University of Mississippi High School or refer to the Refund Information Sheets inserted in your order shipment.

Course Work

There are no official timelines within the constraints of the one-year enrollment time frame. Students exercise control over their progress through course assignments. However, instructors are willing to assist students in the creation of individualized pacing guides.

Minimum completion period: A student may not complete a course in less than four weeks for a half unit course and six weeks for a full unit course from the date the first written work is received at the University of Mississippi High School without advance permission from the administration. Under no circumstances will a student be allowed to complete a half unit course in less than three weeks (21 days) from the date the first course assignment is received in our office.

All online courses are operated on Blackboard. Students will receive all assignments through Blackboard and will return all assignments through Blackboard.

Blackboard is a paperless interface and allows students and teachers to submit and return documents electronically. Just as students submit assignments through Blackboard, teachers will return the graded assignments through Blackboard, as well.


First, students should contact the college or university of their choice for information about the examination required for entrance to that institution. Then they should telephone, fax, or write directly to one of the following organizations to find out when and where the examination may be taken:

The American College Testing Program (ACT)
Test Administration
P. O. Box 168
Iowa City, IA 52243-0618
Phone: (319) 337-1270
Fax: (319) 339-3032
Web: www.act.org

Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and Achievement and
Advancement Placement Tests College Entrance

Examination Board
College Board SAT Program
P. O. Box 6200
Princeton, NJ 08541-6200
Phone: (609) 771-7600
Fax: (609) 771-7773
Web: www.collegeboard.org

Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) and
National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT)

National Merit Scholarship Corporation
1560 Sherman Avenue, Suite 200
Evanston, IL 60201-4897
Phone: (609) 771-7070
Fax: (609) 530-0482
Web: www.collegeboard.org

Please note that to qualify for a National Merit Scholarship, you must take the PSAT in your junior year.

All online courses are operated on Blackboard. Students will receive all assignments through Blackboard and will return all assignments through Blackboard.

A Pre-College Programs transcript request must be submitted. Please send your requests via regular mail or fax. Any request from a student under 18 must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. The students themselves must sign requests if they are 18 or over.

One transcript is provided at no charge for UMHS students. A $5 charge will be assessed for each additional copy provided. Payment must accompany the transcript request. Mail request to Office of University of Mississippi High School, P. O. Box 1848, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677.

Please allow one week from the submission of the final course grade for transcripts to be processed.

NOTE: UMHS will provide transcripts upon request by a high school official if a student is seeking to enroll in or is currently enrolled in that school. In these cases, students and parents/legal guardians do not have to submit a written request.