THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI-DESOTO | 662-342-4765 | | Home | Ole Miss | Regionals

The University of Mississippi - DeSoto

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a link below, or simply scroll down to view the questions:


Where is The University of Mississippi-DeSoto?
The University of Mississippi-DeSoto in Southaven is located at 5197 W. E. Ross Parkway. For directions and a map, click here.

How many students are enrolled at the UM-DeSoto?
Approximately 800 students are enrolled at The University of Mississippi-DeSoto, including graduate students.

Where do UM-DeSoto students come from?
Everywhere! However, the majority of UM-DeSoto students generally come from Northwest Mississippi and the Mid-South community.

Does UM-DeSoto offer day classes?
Yes - and evening, independent and online, and study abroad. Lots of options!

Is UM-DeSoto on the quarter system or the semester system?
The University of Mississippi-DeSoto observes the same semester system as the main campus at Oxford: two 16-week class sessions per academic year. Three summer sessions and three intersessions are also available. Full-time undergraduate status requires that students take at least 12 hours per semester. At the graduate level, full-time means taking at least 9 hours per semester. Day and night classes are offered.

Do I have to enroll full-time?
No. Students may enroll full-time or part-time in daytime or evening classes. Most evening classes meet one night a week. Students who wish to apply for scholarships should be aware that most academic scholarship awards require full-time status (12 credit hours or more for undergraduates).

Are there residential facilities (dorms) for UM-DeSoto students?
No; however, UM-DeSoto students may rent apartments in several conveniently located apartment complexes near the DeSoto Center.

Will my diploma say The University of Mississippi on it?
Yes. All UM students’ degrees read “The University of Mississippi” no matter which campus they attend.


Can I attend The University of Mississippi-DeSoto after graduating from high school?
No, not immediately after high school. You must complete the required freshman and sophomore-level classes through the 2+2 partnership with Northwest Mississippi Community College or at another community college because The University of Mississippi offers only junior and senior-level coursework on the regional campuses.

How do I apply to The University of Mississippi-DeSoto?
Apply for admission online at There is a non-refundable application fee ($40 for Mississippi residents; $60 for non-residents) that can be paid by credit or debit card online or by check or money order. Please be sure to include your application # on your check or money order. If you are currently enrolled at another institution, follow up with a completed transcript showing final grades.

To be admitted to the University of Mississippi, please ask each college you have previously attended to send an official (sealed or emailed E-script) copy of your transcript directly to: University of Mississippi Undergraduate Admissions, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677.

When should I apply for admission?
Undergraduate students are advised to submit the application for admission and supporting documents well in advance of the period in which enrollment is sought. In fact, applications are accepted as early as one year prior to the desired enrollment. Registration for the upcoming semester begins around the middle of each semester, so it is recommended that students apply at the beginning of the semester prior to desired enrollment so they can be admitted before registration begins.

For graduate students, the deadline for admission for each graduate program can be found here.

What are the admission requirements for transfer students?
It is recommended that you talk with a UM admissions counselor prior to applying to ensure that the proper prerequisites to begin the junior year of your degree program have been met.

Transfer students may be admitted under one of the following conditions:

To complete a degree at a UM regional campus, a student should have completed all freshman and sophomore coursework (40-60 semester hours) prior to transfer.

How long does it take to reach an admission decision?
The University admits students on a rolling basis as files become complete. After the Office of Admissions receives your application, fee, and official transcript(s) (sent directly from your school(s) to the Office of Admissions), a decision is mailed to you in most cases in about three weeks. Processing may be noticeably slower from mid-December through late January when University offices are closed for two weeks and the files of applicants for the Spring semester receive first priority.

What are the requirements for admission to graduate programs?
Typically, students applying to graduate programs should have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, a grade-point average of 2.75 on the last two years of undergraduate work, and a 3.0 on all graduate work already completed (on a 4.0 scale).

The decision to admit an applicant to pursue graduate study at The University of Mississippi is based upon evaluation of both qualitative and quantitative information. All applicants must provide a completed application form, a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and records of previous academic achievements. Some degree programs may require additional credentials.

Graduate applications will not be processed without appropriate test scores (i.e., GRE/GMAT/ Praxis/TOEFL). Students may not enroll in 600 level courses unless they are already admitted or currently enrolled in graduate school.

Full admission requirements to each graduate program can be found here.

Are there additional admission requirements for international students?
Yes. International applicants may use the standard application and receive additional information later, or for faster processing, contact the Office of International Programs ( and request a special packet that includes complete information on requirements and the additional forms needed for admission of international students.

Are there any exceptions for admission?
A mature student who has been out of school for at least three years and cannot present an acceptable high school record may apply for admission as a special student. Special students will be admitted under full status after successfully completing at least 12 semester hours at UM with at least a 2.0 GPA. Important Note: Special students are not eligible to receive financial aid while they are classified as such.

If students apply for a certain semester and they don't attend that semester, do they have to reapply?
Yes. However, if the application is current, in most cases it can be updated to a future term (within one year of the original term applied for) by completing a Change of Term Request, which can be obtained in the UM-DeSoto office.

Must I send a transcript from a college where I have only taken one class?

When will I be advised?
Upon admission to the University, you should schedule an appointment with your advisor. Generally, all academic credits from an accredited college are transferable. Note: the limit on the acceptance of credit from a community college is one-half the total requirements for graduation in a given curriculum. However, all of your previously earned credits may not satisfy specific requirements for a particular major. Your advisor can answer all questions related to transferability.

Which of my hours from another college will transfer to The University of Mississippi-DeSoto?
All academic hours earned at a regionally accredited institution are acceptable as transfer hours if they are not technical, vocational, or remedial. The academic advisor and/or division chair determines the applicability of hours toward a degree. Note: the limit on the acceptance of credit from a community college is one-half the total requirements for graduation in a given curriculum.

Can full-time military personnel transfer hours to UM-DeSoto?
The University of Mississippi offers credit for training and experience in the Armed Services to currently enrolled students. Those wishing to receive this credit must furnish the Office of Admissions with a DD214 (discharge papers), a DD295, or a Certificate of Achievement. The academic advisor and dean will determine applicable credit toward a degree.

Does The University of Mississippi-DeSoto have an orientation program?
Yes, UM-DeSoto has an orientation program. Orientation is a time for you, our incoming transfer and graduate students, to become better acquainted with the Southaven facility and the University. We recognize that you have a college experience behind you and, thus, very specific concerns. Because UM-DeSoto is different from your previous setting, orientation is mandatory.

What happens during orientation?
During orientation students participate in sessions that inform them of all facets of the University. You will have the opportunity to get your parking permit and student identification card; find out about computer and library resources; receive information about billing, deadlines, and campus policies and procedures; meet current students and other incoming students who share similar interests and concerns; and get answers to all of your questions about getting started at The University of Mississippi-DeSoto.

How do I sign up for orientation?
Information is sent to newly admitted students prior to the start of each semester.

Tuition and Financial Aid/Scholarships

How much are tuition and fees?
Please click here for a listing of current fees.

For more information, go to

When do I have to pay for tuition and fees?
You will receive a bill as soon as you have registered for classes. Payment options will be included in that mailing from the Bursar.

What is the University's withdrawal/refund policy?
Students electing to drop and/or add classes, after having been officially enrolled, must complete a DROP-ADD FORM indicating the change to be made. Deadline dates for withdrawals are listed in the academic calendar. Refunds are computed based on the time of official notification of withdrawal on the following schedule. A full refund will be granted if the class is cancelled.

Withdrawal Refund Due
Before first class meeting 100% of tuition*
Before second class meeting 60% of tuition
Before third class meeting 20% of tuition
After third class meeting None

*Minus a $25 administrative fee

Is financial aid available?
Yes. About 75% of students attending The University of Mississippi receive some form of financial assistance to offset the costs associated with attending college. Available assistance includes need-based and non-need-based scholarships, federal and state grants, low-interest loans, and federal work-study.

How do I apply for financial aid?
Applicants for need-based aid (US citizens or permanent residents only) should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to submit a completed FAFSA early in the spring (the recommended priority deadline is February 15). If applying for aid, you should also request a Financial Aid Transcript from all institutions previously attended, whether or not you received financial aid while enrolled.

How do I apply for University scholarships?
To learn how to apply for scholarships at The University of Mississippi-DeSoto, click here.

What about the Phi Theta Kappa scholarship?
UM-DeSoto students may be considered for this scholarship. To learn more, click here.

Are there opportunities for on-campus jobs?
Yes. Check with the main office on the Southaven campus to discuss employment opportunities.

Campus Resources and Facilities

What are the facilities like at The University of Mississippi-DeSoto?
For information on UM-DeSoto facilities, click here.

What is the parking situation on campus?
A closed-circuit TV system provides security for the building as well as the parking area. Handicapped parking is available. All students must register their vehicles and obtain parking permits. These may be purchased during Orientation.

Is there a library on campus?
University of Mississippi students may check out books from the DeSoto Center Library with a valid photo I. D. The UM-DeSoto office provides a verified list of currently enrolled students to the Northwest Mississippi Community College librarian. DeSoto Center library hours are Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Saturday 8:30 a.m.-12:00 noon. An ERIC and on-line computers are available in the DeSoto Center library for student use. Business Source computers are available for research in the library.

University of Mississippi-DeSoto students may check out books from The University of Mississippi Library on the main campus in Oxford through the interlibrary loan system with a valid University of Mississippi library card. Information about interlibrary loans and a library card is available at The University of Mississippi-DeSoto Center office, The University of Mississippi Library on the main campus in Oxford, and online at the following web address:

Are computers available for student use?
Yes. A computer lab with 24 PCs, a teaching station and networked printers are available to instructors and students. The computer lab is internet, ftp file, and telnet connected to the main campus. The lab is located in Room 304. The lab is reserved on a "first come first serve" basis; therefore, students will need to provide a flash drive for saving personal assignments. Please do not eat, drink, or smoke in the lab. The lab should be returned to its original state after use. Additional policies and procedures for the computer lab are posted.

Is there a bookstore on campus?
Not at this time, but textbooks can be pre-ordered online in the weeks before the start of a new semester. Books that are pre-ordered will be available for pick-up at The University of Mississipp-DeSoto during the first week of classes. Click here to learn more about ordering your textbooks.

What activities and organizations are available to students on the UM-DeSoto campus?
Organizations on campus include Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society, the Student Social Work Organization, Teachers of Tomorrow, and Student Ambassadors.

Is there a cafeteria on campus?
No. Vending machines are located on the 3rd floor of the DeSoto Center. Students must consume food and beverages prior to returning to classrooms. No food or beverages are allowed in classrooms. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the premises.

Contact Information

What is the direct web address for UM-DeSoto?
The direct link to The University of Mississippi-DeSoto is

Is there someone I can contact if I have more questions?
Please contact the office at 662.342-4765.

For Assistance

[Phone]: 662-342-4765
[Location]: The DeSoto Center

Contact UM-DeSoto

5197 W. E. Ross Parkway
Southaven, Mississippi 38671

Phone: (662) 342-4765
Fax: (662) 342-5208

Request Information »


Wondering if your academic course credit will transfer to Ole Miss? Read more »


Recent News from the University of Mississippi-DeSoto. Go to News »


Follow us on Twitter for the latest weather updates.
Check Twitter »

Facebook Link Twitter LinkInstagram Link

Regional Transfer Guide

Get the 2017-2018 Regional Campuses Transfer Guide.

Get Guide

2017 Graduation Celebration

Tuesday, May 2 at 5 p.m. in the DeSoto Center Lobby

Want to be contacted?

Request Information