Continuing Education for Senior Adults
About Lifelong Learning Scholarship Program
It’s never too late to join the Ole Miss family! Through The University of Mississippi Lifelong Learning Scholarship program, senior adults 65 years of age or older may enroll in one credit course per semester….tuition free! The Lifelong Learners attend class with University of Mississippi students on any UM campus.
Many classes meet once per week. You have a choice to audit or receive credit!
Sound a bit scary? It’s not! College courses engage older learners in challenging and intellectually stimulating programs. Lifelong Learners, faculty, and students alike love it – and it’s so easy!
*This scholarship covers base tuition for one course (up to 4 hours) in the Fall, Spring or combined Summer sessions. Additional non-refundable fees may apply, e.g. textbooks, parking and capital improvement fees. Enrollment is on a space-available basis.
Steps to becoming a UM Lifelong Learner
(if you are a continuing Lifelong Learner, please skip to step 3):
- If taking undergraduate level courses: complete a University of Mississippi undergraduate application for admission (either online or paper) at least 10 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Your major field of student will be “Undecided” unless you plan to pursue a degree. If you do not plan to pursue a degree, you will need to select “Non-Degree Seeking.” Transcripts and other documentation will be required if you plan to pursue a degree. Please print and save the confirmation of your online application for your records.
- If you are attempting to take graduate-level courses: complete a University graduate application for admission at least 10 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Your major field of study will either be “Non-Degree Seeking” or select a Program of Study. Please print out and save the confirmation of your online application for your records. Transcripts and other documentation will be required.
- On or before the first day of class, you will need to complete a registration form (provided by the UM-DeSoto office) for the course that you are interested in taking. Please note that the classes are on a space-available basis.
- After registering for your class, you will need to secure a parking decal through the UM-DeSoto office.
- If you wish you have your own UM Student ID, you may request one from the UM-DeSoto office. Your card will be active once you have registered for your class.
For additional information, contact:
The University of Mississippi-DeSoto
5197 W.E. Ross Parkway
Southaven, MS 38671
Phone: (662) 342-4765