Are you concerned about college costs?
What prospective college student isn't? It's an important consideration, and at UM-DeSoto we take that challenge as seriously as you do. The Office of Financial Aid is ready to assist you in making your University of Mississippi education a reality.
UM-DeSoto and The UM Office of Financial Aid administers a variety of financial assistance programs designed to help students and their families meet the costs of attending The University. The four basic types of student financial assistance are scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time employment.
Scholarships are gift programs that do not have to be repaid. They are typically awarded in recognition of significant achievement or academic talent. UM-DeSoto offers numerous scholarships to help you finance your education. We urge you to apply for as many scholarships as you qualify for.
Grants are gift aid that does not have to be repaid. Grants usually require a demonstration of financial need.
Loans are funds that have to be repaid with interest.
Part-time employment, on The UM-DeSoto campus, provides opportunities for students to earn money to apply toward their educational expenses.
Applying for need based financial aid:
- Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for all forms of financial aid that you might apply for.
- Be sure to include the University of Mississippi school code on your FAFSA: 002440.
Financial Aid Information if you are transferring to UM-DeSoto:
- Financial aid does not "transfer" from one institution to another. Each institution must evaluate students' eligibility independently of other institutions.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the recommended date of February 15th.
- Send the data to us by using our school code (002440) on the FAFSA.
- Submit your MTAG/MESG application to the state office by the deadline. If you are transferring mid-year, be sure to contact the State Office of Financial Aid.
- Complete your admission file.
- Check with your current Financial Aid Office to make sure you have completed all requirements for a departing student.
- Attend Transfer Student Orientation at UM-DeSoto. Dates and times will be mailed to you after you have completed your application for admission and had your transcripts sent from your previous colleges attended.
- Read carefully any correspondence you receive from the Office of Financial Aid, the Office of Admissions, or other departments on campus.
- Feel free to contact UM-DeSoto at 662-342-4765 with any questions you have about financial aid at Ole Miss.
UM-DeSoto Financial Aid Timeline:
October through March:
- Complete the UM application for admissions online.
- Complete a UM-DeSoto scholarship application. Download the application form.
- If you are applying for other scholarships such as the MTAG or William Winter Scholarship download these forms from their respective websites.
December: Obtain a copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from your guidance counselor or financial aid office. If you plan to complete this application online, you will not need to mail a paper copy. This application will allow you to participate in all federal funding programs for which you are eligible.
January 1: First date to complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA. Do not sign or submit prior to this date. If you complete on the web, do not submit a paper application.
March 15: This is the first date to file the MTAG/MESG application with the State of Mississippi.
March 31: Students who plan to attend summer school should begin checking to see when the summer application will be available on the web. All students who desire financial aid of any type for summer school must complete a summer application. This is also the deadline for submitting William Winter Teacher Applications and Critical Needs Teacher Applications.
May 1: Deadline for submission of UM-DeSoto 2+2 and transfer student scholarships.
September 15: Final deadline for MTAG/MESG applications with the State of Mississippi. Remember that continuing students must also file a renewal application each year.
For more information on financial aid at the UM-DeSoto campus, please contact:
Financial Aid Advisor
University of Mississippi-DeSoto