Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure, October 16-24, 2013
Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure is an educational travel program dedicated to the cuisine of Tuscany. Participants will attend olive oil and wine tastings, guided tours of wineries and visits to pasta and chocolate laboratories. Travelers will also have free time in Florence to take in the Renaissance art and architecture of the city. To enhance your experience, participants can take advantage of pre-departure lectures on the art, architecture, and cuisine of Florence, followed by a tasting hosted by chef and artist Cory Lewis, your leader on this incredible exploration of the culinary traditions of Italy.
Highlights for Academic Travelers:
- Pre-departure and on-site culinary instruction
- Olive oil tasting at Villa Torrerossa
- Wine tastings and tours at Monte Bernardi, Boscarelli and Setriolo wineries
- Rose syrup presentation and tasting with Isabella Devetta
- Cooking classes at Terre di Baccio
- Tour of Mercato Centrale and sample epicurean delights at Conti
- Lunchtime cooking class at Centro Italian Firenze
- Free day in Florence with time to visit museums, shops, and Renaissance architectural sites
- A farewell dinner at Gastone, a fine restaurant in the heart of Florence
New this year!
An additional day in Greve in Chianti to help with the olive harvest at Terre di Baccio.
The Academic Traveler Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure program cost is $2995 (based on double occupancy). The registration deadline is July 15, but space is limited, so register early to secure a space. Payroll deduction is available for University of Mississippi faculty and staff. Painlessly pay for your trip over up to 12 pay periods.
Terre di Baccio
Terre di Baccio is a beautifully renovated estate in the countryside within walking distance of the charming town of Greve in Chianti. This country residence is situated in the hills of Tuscany on 50 acres that are home to vineyards, olive groves and even a saffron garden. The interiors are decorated in a unique combination of traditional Tuscan design and Guatemalan décor. A complimentary breakfast is served each morning.
In past years, travelers have stayed at four-star hotels such as The Hotel Degli Orafi or Hotel Borghese Palace. This year’s travelers will stay in one of these or a comparable hotel centrally-located in Florence – just a short walk to the Duomo, the Uffizi Gallery, and other sites in the city.
A complimentary breakfast is served daily at the hotel. Hotel staff can assist in making arrangements for excursions, museum visits, theatre tickets or other activities to customize your stay in Florence.
Included in the program cost:
- Pre-departure educational material
- Pre-departure lectures and tastings
- All accommodations and most meals
- Group pick-up from the airport in Florence
- Culinary tours and tastings
- Cooking classes
Excluded from the program cost:
- Individual transportation to and from the Memphis (or other domestic) airport
- Round-trip airfare to Florence
- Passport fees
- Travel insurance
- Individual activities and tours on free day in Florence
- Outbound transportation to the airport in Florence
- Single room -$350
Questions? Contact Laura Antonow at (662) 915-6511 or firstname.lastname@example.org