Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure, March 10-16, 2013
Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure is an educational travel program dedicated to the cuisine of Tuscany. Participants will attend olive oil and wine tastings, guided tours of wineries and visits to pasta and chocolate laboratories. Travelers will also have free time in Florence to take in the Renaissance art and architecture of the city. To enhance your experience, participants can take advantage of pre-departure lectures on the art, architecture, and cuisine of Florence, followed by a tasting hosted by chef and artist Cory Lewis, your leader on this incredible exploration of the culinary traditions of Italy.
Click here to register.
Highlights for Academic Travelers:
- Pre-departure and on-site culinary instruction
- Olive oil tasting at Villa Torrerossa
- Wine tastings and tours at Monte Bernardi, Boscarelli and Setriolo wineries
- Rose syrup presentation and tasting with Isabella Devetta
- Cooking classes at Terre di Baccio
- Tour of the Tuscan hill town of Montepulciano
- Instruction on artisan pasta production at Pastificio Fabbri
- Tour of Mercato Centrale and sample epicurean delights at Conti
- Lunchtime cooking class at Centro Italian Firenze
- Visit and tasting at the chocolate laboratory Vestri in Arezzo.
- Free day in Florence with time to visit museums, shops, and Renaissance architectural sites
- A farewell dinner at Gastone, a fine restaurant in the heart of Florence
The Academic Traveler Tuscany: A Culinary Adventure program cost is $2895 (double occupancy). The registration deadline is Thursday, January 31, 2013 but space is limited, so register early to secure a space. Payroll deduction is available for University of Mississippi faculty and staff. Painlessly pay for your trip over up to 12 pay periods.
Terre di Baccio
Terre di Baccio is a beautifully renovated estate in the countryside within walking distance of the charming town of Greve in Chianti. This country residence is situated in the hills of Tuscany on 50 acres that are home to vineyards, olive groves and even a saffron garden. The interiors are decorated in a unique combination of traditional Tuscan design and Guatemalan décor. A complimentary breakfast is served each morning.
Hotel degli Orafi
The Hotel Degli Orafi is well known worldwide as the setting for the film A Room with a View. This magnificent 4-star luxury hotel is located in an ancient Florentine building dating back to the 13th century. You will find it in the center of the city next to the River Arno and just a few steps away from the famous Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery. Formerly an Augustinian convent, this building has the remains of an ancient medieval tower.
Today the tower is partly restored and you can enjoy the original frescoes of the XII century in the modern library. From our roof terrace bar you can admire the view over the Arno River, the Palazzo Vecchio (the ancient residence of the Medici family), the Vasarian Corridor and the Brunelleschi’s Dome.
A daily breakfast buffet is served in the hotel ballroom overlooking the River Arno. Hotel staff can assist in making arrangements for excursions, museum visits, theatre tickets or other activities to customize your stay in Florence.
Included in the program cost:
- Pre-departure educational material
- Pre-departure lectures and tastings
- All accommodations and most meals
- Group transfers to and from accommodations and airports in Florence
- Culinary tours and tastings
- Cooking classes
Excluded from the program cost:
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Round-trip airfare to Florence
- Passport fees
- Travel insurance
- Individual activities and tours on free day in Florence
- Single room -$300
Questions? Contact Laura Antonow at (662) 915-6511 or firstname.lastname@example.org