The Friends of the University Museum and the Academic Traveler present…Crystal Bridges
April 4-6, 2013
The Friends of the University Museum, in conjunction with the Academic Traveler, present a cultural excursion to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. Praised in the New Yorker, The New York Times, and The Washington Post, this is “the most-talked-about new museum in the United States in a generation.” Travelers will have the opportunity to visit the Arkansas Art Center and the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock, on the way to and from Bentonville.
Download a printable registration form. [.pdf]
- At Crystal Bridges, explore the stunning architecture of renowned architect Moshe Safdie and the museum grounds, which include 120-acre site containing 3.5 miles of trails that wind among streams, ponds, wetlands, native plants, and sculpture.
- Visit the world-class collection at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art which includes works by Charles Wilson Peale, Thomas Hart Benton, Norman Rockwell, Andy Warhol, and Jenny Holzer, and special exhibitions entitled Abstractions on Paper and American Chronicles: The Art of Norman Rockwell.
- Take a private behind-the-scenes tour at the Arkansas Art Center, home to one of the most highly-regarded collections of works on paper including pieces by Cézanne, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollock, Georgia O'Keeffe, Alison Saar, Rembrandt and Rubens
- Tour the William J. Clinton Presidential Library and see artifacts from the administration and life of President Bill Clinton
- Explore the art collection and fine dining of the new 21c Museum Hotel
- Enjoy a special dinner at Eleven, the renowned restaurant at Crystal Bridges
The tour coordinator for Crystal Bridges excursion is Laura Antonow, former designer at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, adjunct assistant professor of art at The University of Mississippi, director of the Academic Traveler program, and Friends of the University Museum board member.
Priority registration for University Museum Members extends until Friday, March 1. After March 1, registration is open to the public. The general registration deadline for the Crystal Bridges trip is Monday, March 18.
The program fee is $485 per person (double occupancy).
Included in the program cost:
- Pre-departure educational material
- Pre-departure lectures
- Accommodations and porterage at the 21c Museum Hotel in Bentonville, Arkansas
- Group museum admissions and tour fees
- Two group dinners at The Hive and Eleven
- Ground transportation to and from Oxford via motor coach
Excluded from the program cost:
- Travel insurance
- Meals, other than those listed above
- Single supplement: $175
Questions? contact Laura Antonow at (662) 915-6511