The University of Mississippi Academic Invitational Tournament (UMAIT), sponsored by the Division of Outreach and Office of Pre-College Programs, is an annual quiz bowl tournament for the state of Mississippi and neighboring schools in the Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee areas. This tournament welcomes 64 teams from these areas to compete in a fun and scholarly atmosphere.
UMAIT's setup is a double elimination format with brackets separated by class divisions based on school size. Teams compete for the Dr. M. Lynne Murchison Championship Trophy.
Tournament Type: Double Elimination, Single Elimination Championship
Sponsor: Office of Pre-College Programs, Division of Outreach and Continuing Education
Registration – 8:00 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. (in the lobby of Lamar Hall)
4 brackets, 16 teams each, 9 rounds
|1||8:30 to 9:00 a.m.||(first 8 teams of each bracket)|
|2||9:05 to 9:35 a.m.||(second 8 teams of each bracket)|
|3||9:40 to 10:10 a.m.||(teams that lost in rounds 1 & 2)|
|4||10:05 to 10:45 a.m.||(teams that won in round 1 & 2)|
|5||10:50 to 11:20 a.m.||(after 5 rounds, 8 teams remain)|
|6||11:25 to 11:55 a.m.||(after 6 rounds, 6 teams remain)|
|7||1:00 to 1:30 p.m.||(after 7 rounds, 4 teams remain)|
|8||1:35 to 2:05 p.m.||(after 8 rounds, 3 teams remain)|
|9||2:10 to 2:40 p.m.||(after 9 rounds, 2 teams remain)|
2 teams per bracket advance, 8 teams total
|10||3:00 to 3:30 p.m.||(8 teams, 1 & 2 from each bracket)|
|11||3:35 to 4:05 p.m.||(final 4 teams)|
|12||4:10 to 4:40 p.m.||(championship and consolation matches)|
Awards Ceremony – immediately after Round 12 matches are completed
Registration is a two-part process – the online registration form and additional documentation. Both parts must be submitted to our office before a student is confirmed for enrollment in the program.
- Register Online
- Step 1: Go to the online registration portal.
- Step 2: Click “Add to Cart.”
- Step 3: Enter the Student’s Information and click “Continue.”
- Step 4: Review your Cart Information and click “Checkout.”
- Enter your email address and click “Continue Unregistered.”
- Select the appropriate payment method and follow the prompts to complete the payment transaction. If you have a discount/scholarship code, you can enter it on the right side of the page and click “Apply.”
- Step 5: Enter the Parent/Guardian and Emergency Contact Information. Click “Submit.” You will receive an emailed receipt and confirmation of registration. Please retain a copy of this receipt for your reference and tax purposes.
- Submit Medical Form
- We value the safety and well-being of all our participating students. In the case emergency or medical attention is required, ALL camps and programs require parents to submit medical forms on behalf of the student. Please DO NOT forget to return this form to our office as this will hold up the registration process for your student. If you have already submitted the medical form for a camp this summer, you will not have to submit it again. We do not retain medical documentation from previous summers.
- Step 1: Download and complete the Summer Medical Form (at top of page) with the appropriate student and parent information.
- Step 2: Attach a copy of:
- Student’s insurance card,
- Parent’s driver’s license
- Shot records with the last Tetanus Immunization or Booster Shot, and
- Any other medical documents needed to seek treatment
- Step 3: Send the form and attachments to our office at: Outreach and Continuing Education, Office of Pre-College Programs, The University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848.
- For the security of you and your student’s information, please do not email or fax medical forms to our office. We request that you mail or bring the forms to our office.
- Submit Agreement
- The Office of Pre-College Programs has set guidelines and rules in place for the safety of the students participating in our camps and programs. Please review these guidelines and rules and discuss with your student(s) before the first day of the program. The Agreement Form is available at the top of the page.
ournament registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. and will end at 8:20 a.m. in the lobby of Lamar Hall. All teams must check-in at the registration table before competing. Round One will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. If a team arrives more than 5 minutes late to a match, the match will be automatically forfeited.
In each round, there will be 16 concurrent matches. Therefore, 32 teams will have no match from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m.; the other 32 teams will have no match from 9:00 to 9:30 a.m. During the time a team does not have a match, we encourage you and your team to enjoy our beautiful campus. Please remember to return in time for a match. Any team that is not in place at the scheduled time will forfeit the match.
Lunch will not be provided. The Food Court in the Ole Miss Student Union will be open for lunch, but not for breakfast. This option is probably best for lunch since you will not have to leave campus.
For additional information, please contact: